Author Topic: Pitiful excuse for journalism  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Pitiful excuse for journalism
« on: September 22, 2023, 05:13:32 pm »
I just read four news articles on Yahoo News about a Kentucky man that died as a result of being stung by Yellow Jackets.  These articles were generated by Fox, NBC, WKRN, and USA TODAY.  Each article used terminology like "swarm" and "bees" even though the man died from YellowJacket stings.  Pictures, in the four articles, included pictures of the deceased, yellow jackets, honey bees, and a honey bee swarm.  Each article clearly states that the insects were inside a bag of potting soil that the deceased was moving.  We know that honey bees don't nest in soil and that yellow jackets do.  It appears that one source started the misinformation and others copied and pasted.  GRRRR!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-family-rushes-save-father-180909671.html

For the last few years I have done a community pollinator event in the fall.  Every year I have to educate at least one person that a yellow jacket in not a bee.  The Great American Public.  ???
The following users thanked this post: Gypsi

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Pitiful excuse for journalism
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 05:21:20 pm »
AMEN
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Online The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 08:13:07 pm »
 :agree:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 12:27:54 pm »
So, another article appeared today.  The facts about what really happened keep getting muddier and muddier.  This time added a comment in the comment section about poor journalism and how they should do their homework and get the facts straight.  It was rejected. 

Online The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 05:12:41 pm »
So, another article appeared today.  The facts about what really happened keep getting muddier and muddier.  This time added a comment in the comment section about poor journalism and how they should do their homework and get the facts straight.  It was rejected.
>:(  That's because they don't care about the facts, they just care that you clicked on the article. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.