Author Topic: Storing passwords  (Read 11647 times)

Offline Buzzbee

Storing passwords
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:12:34 am »
Your web browser is probably not the best password protector for secure passwords. I use Last Pass which will generate secure passwords and store them for you. With Last Pass you just remember one secure password, made up by you, to log into the last pass vault. once logged in it will autofill your username and password for the sites you visit.
Remember that passwords using birthdays, family member names and even things like 1234 are not secure.
And any secure shopping or banking sites should have it's own secure password,not one shared by many sites you visit. Especially if you use that password on Social Media( facebook,Twitter,and such).

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Storing passwords
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:58:40 pm »
Got a link to last pass, buzzbee?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Buzzbee

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »
Its
https://lastpass.com/
I forgot about this. if you have an Adobe account your info likely has been compromised:
http://blog.lastpass.com/2013/11/take-action-now-check-if-youre-affected.html

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 12:53:21 pm »
I'm a very satisfied LastPass user as well.  It manages all my passwords across all browsers and all computers for me.   This way I can have unique 12 character passwords that are different for every site.   I upgraded my account to premium for $1/month which allows me to manage the passwords from Android.   But the real benefit is I can share passwords with other users.   So all our bank accounts and other joint are in sync between my computers and my wife's.  If either one of us has to change a password,  it gets update for the other as well.   It also allows me to keep my son's accounts in check as well.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 02:39:20 pm »
It certainly looks tempting. All the passwords a person accumulates is mind boggling unless you use some of the same ones in different places, (which I know is not good) Still I have a reluctance to figuratively put all my eggs in one basket. Will have to ponder that one.
Frank

Offline Buzzbee

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 05:25:23 pm »
If you use the same password on any social site and just as a regular user somewhere else, your eggs are all in one basket. The adobe site was hacked and gave out e-mail and password info combined. They find the right sites and they are in.Too many people also use the same password for their email. Once they log in to your email they can change the password and lock you out. Most peoples correspondence with online accounts is through their email acount. I change my email password on a regular basis to keep them at bay. 
You can change your password frequently on last pass too. Using 12 digits and symbols that you make up can be daunting sometimes. But perhaps just looking at objects around your room can give you clues. 
Sadly, I know people that keep passwords stored right beside their computer, or worse yet on a notepad document on their computer desktop labeled, you guessed it, passwords.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:27:18 pm by Buzzbee »

Offline Buzzbee

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 05:29:16 pm »
Rob, i also pay the 1 dollar a month allowing me to access my lastpass account from any machine anywhere.