Author Topic: Swiss Chard just made the news  (Read 6221 times)

Gypsi

Swiss Chard just made the news
« on: May 25, 2015, 02:28:04 pm »
I had some swiss chard that I grew on the pond deck stirred into my scrambled eggs this morning, along with a little of the breakfast sausage that daughter and I made back in March.  I grow chard in ground, all winter, all summer and on the pond march thru first freeze because it will grow in Texas winter or summer and is very nutritious.  seed and have food for a year or 2, just harvest the outer leaves as needed, so I harvest about 5 minutes before cooking.  But who knew it was a superfood?

http://ecowatch.com/2015/05/19/swiss-chard-ultimate-superfood/?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=67399f99ee-Top_News_5_25_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-67399f99ee-85396317
The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Swiss Chard just made the news
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:34:21 pm »
Steamed with a bit of butter on top, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:54:45 pm »
Definitely!  Chard is worth a pat of Kerry Gold!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:46:17 pm »
Oh yes, very nutritious!  And versatile.  I like to sauté in olive oil with mushrooms.  I put the lid on and let it cook down.  Around here, it sells for about $2 a bunch and a bunch is about 2 servings. 

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:05:40 pm »
My rainbow chard is about 2 inches high.  Can't wait to saute with some olive oil and garlic.  Wanted so much to cut the asparagus this year but since we just planted it last fall (they were two year old roots then) and they were so skinny when they came up that we decided to let them be till next year.    Lots of things poking up in the veggie garden and we have our first flowers on our tomatoes.  Oh, I can't wait to sink my teeth into a nice, warm, sun ripened tomato  :P :P  Pass the salt shaker!!

Gypsi

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:01:49 am »
Nothing better than a good tomato grown in even moisture levels. The drought ruined mine for a few years til last year I built a platform on the pond in full sun, best tomatoes I have ever eaten I think. This year I have some in an improved moisture retention part of the garden, but I have some on the pond again too. And chard coming off that pond full of koi is twice the size of what I'm getting from the garden

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:51:08 am »
Nothing better than a good tomato grown in even moisture levels. The drought ruined mine for a few years til last year I built a platform on the pond in full sun, best tomatoes I have ever eaten I think. This year I have some in an improved moisture retention part of the garden, but I have some on the pond again too. And chard coming off that pond full of koi is twice the size of what I'm getting from the garden

Gypsi,  Do you have any pictures of your platform?  That sounds creative.

Gypsi

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:50:57 pm »
I do have some photos but I am not gifted at posting them here as the phone takes such large images.  My old eyes are also not good at going through the thumbnails to get them resized.  I hope to have my bifocal contacts in  next week plus reading glasses and I will be editing pond photos so maybe I can get something either on here or on photobucket and post a link.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:05:58 pm »
Love greens in the wintertime
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Gypsi

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 04:17:07 pm »
So do I.  I'll be moving the chard from the pond tray to a tray in my greenhouse over a tank of goldfish.  The garden ones I try to throw a bucket over (giant bucket) when we have  a really low freeze do, but it handles mild freezes well.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:33:53 pm »
If you watch closely in the garden you will also notice compared to other greens chard is more pest resistant.

Gypsi

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:42:09 pm »
Not only pest resistant, it is freeze resistant. I have it on the pond tray for my koi pond (formerly my tilapia pond and my catfish pond) and my friend the aquaponics expert was telling me how you can't do anything aquaponic in the winter in Texas unless the pond is in a greenhouse, and I showed him my green and red swiss chard.  I grow it because my grandmother grew it, but also because spinach does so badly in Texas

Offline Zulu

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 12:51:22 am »
Not only pest resistant, it is freeze resistant. I have it on the pond tray for my koi pond (formerly my tilapia pond and my catfish pond) and my friend the aquaponics expert was telling me how you can't do anything aquaponic in the winter in Texas unless the pond is in a greenhouse, and I showed him my green and red swiss chard.  I grow it because my grandmother grew it, but also because spinach does so badly in Texas

And thus it is also one of the green leafy veg that you can put excess into the freezer for later use.
Zulu's Bees

Gypsi

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 10:31:13 am »
I usually blanch and stuff in quart size freezer ziplocs for quick use later