Author Topic: 1st swarm calls of the year  (Read 3180 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
1st swarm calls of the year
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:18:02 am »
1st call the bees were on the ground. i got lucky & spotted the queen right off & grabbed her in a queen clip. i had an EZ nuc box so i opened the entrance, & put the queen still in the clip into the box, & put it next to the swarm. the bees smelled the queen & started marching right into the nuc. this was pretty close to the house so i left them to give them time to get moved in. got home & started building bottom boards & got a 2nd call. this swarm was also nearby. they were on a low growing juniper evergreen right at the ground. i lifted branches & slid a piece of sheet metal under them. i snipped off branches full of bees & put them into an easy nuc. once those were all in the box i shook those that i couldn't get onto the sheet metal, lifted the metal, & slid them into the nuc. i knew i had the queen as the flyers i stirred up all landed on the nuc. i put the nuc now covered in bees into my truck & took them home like that. after i put them into a wooden nuc i went & picked up the 1st swarm. while i was getting the 2nd one the homeowner with the 1st swarm texted me to let me know they were now all in the nuc. so now i have to build yet 2 more bottom boards. with making splits & swarm control of my own hives & these swarms i'm now at 27 hives.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: 1st swarm calls of the year
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:38:15 pm »
Yay, so happy and jealous for you!! :yes:

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 06:43:59 pm »
Congratulations rober!  You made it to, and exceeded, the 25 mark.  I rememder you were trying to get there, or maybe it was someone else.  Well, congratulations anyway as I'M trying to get there.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:13:27 pm »
Well done, Rober! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:42 am »
It's Swarmaggedon! Good job, rober!
I too spent yesterday evening priming bottom boards.  I now need to get my hands on some bottom boards to keep up.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 08:06:50 am »
I built 12. i'll prime & paint today.