Author Topic: Peppers any ideas  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Peppers any ideas
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:20:33 am »
Cover it up,
Told me to come pick some peppers before he axed them .got 3 bags ( habanero, jalapeño, cayane & bell) any ideas , have already dried some early this year

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Peppers any ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 10:58:45 am »
We dried a bunch then ground them up in an old electric coffee grinder, put the powder in a pepper shaker and use it to "zip" up everything from pizza to potatoes.  We had to harvest a bunch before the frost got them so I've been grilling them and eating them with supper almost every night.  Mmmmmmm, grilled peppers! Not that that will help you preserve them.  We also clean them, cut them in half, remove the seeds and freeze in a one gallon freezer bag.  Not good for fresh eating but great for cooking.  Chili, spaghetti sauce, goulash, lasagna, meatloaf, well, you get the idea.  Hope that helps.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 11:06:36 am »
I don't know how to do it, but my old Mexican pals make a mixture of pureed tomatoes and bell peppers and add the hot peppers, jalapeño and habaneros, to the mix and cook it into a red, hot sauce.  It can then be heat sealed into jars.  Look up a recipe and make a lot of hot sauce.  It's good table fare, and it makes wonderful gifts.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:36:45 am »
GREEN PEPPER RELISH   
24 med. green peppers, cored and seeded
12 onions
3 c. sugar
3 c. vinegar
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. mustard seed
1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Put green peppers and onion through medium blade of meat grinder (or use blender). Drain in colander. Pour boiling water over vegetables. Drain turn vegetables in large pot. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook over very low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Process 10 minutes. Makes 13 (1/2 pints).
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:50:58 am »
My wife makes the relish recipe that iddee does, but leaves the hot peppers out, i have to add hot peppers to mine after it comes out of the jar. :D. A scoop or two on a bowl of ham and beans (for your green veg. :D) and of course corn bread, i;d rather have that than a steak. :yes: Jack

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 02:47:34 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, I was also thinking of a mash an canning it, but the habaneros are so hot! ! !  Can handle most peppers, But the habaneros, ghost I can't handle .haven't even tried the Carolina Reaper and don't think I won't to :o

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »
We did dry and grind one batch of just habenero.  Made it into powder. It has a good flavor but you kind of need to put it on with a toothpick!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 05:08:44 pm »
We have a native plant here called chili pequin.  I dry them in a dish in on a window sill and then crush them with a rolling pin on a cutting board.  They are then loaded into a pepper shaker with larger holes in the lid.  They make a great seasoning pepper.  They are not as hot as the habanera's, but they are hotter than jolapenos. 

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 07:58:06 pm »
Does anyone know? Scoville? Meter on a Carolina Reaper ??

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 08:06:05 pm »
Carolina Reaper – The World’s Hottest Pepper

The Carolina Reaper is officially the Worlds Hottest Pepper as ranked by Guinness Records. There is nothing normal about this pepper. It was bred for heat and that it is with an average SHU of over 1.5 million and peaks at 2.2 Million SHU! Just looking at it, you know its one mean pepper. It gets this insane heat from being a cross between a Pakastani Naga and a Red Habanero. Oddly enough this pepper doesn’t just have heat, but excellent flavor as well.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »
The Paki Naga sounds hot enough :'(

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 11:36:39 pm »
I knew I shouldnt have read this.. I have heartburn already!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 07:22:48 pm »
lol scott!

peppers, we grow several different varieties, green and red peppers, sweet chili peppers, anaheims, a few others, but the hottest we grow is jalapeno and habernero. grilling,  salsa, sauces, bloody mary mix, jellies, freezing...... ted gave some great suggestions!  the jelly is cool if you want to mess with it, sorta like tabasco's pepper jelly.........what we do is make whatever jelly, and put the peppers in..........then serve it over cream cheese and use as a dip with crackers..........hmmmm, hmmm good!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 06:34:19 pm »
Riverbee the creamcheese sounds great, was going to ask what kind of cracker, but that would start a new thread , was thinking of making jalapeño poppers with cheddar cheese (shredded) and freezing

Offline hamptor

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 10:43:22 am »
I slice banana peppers lengthwise, remove the seeds, dot with either goat cheese or feta, drizzle with olive oil and then bake/roast.  Makes a good appetizer, too.  Got the recipe from a friend in Waxhaw, NC.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 06:35:49 pm »
"Riverbee the creamcheese sounds great, was going to ask what kind of cracker, but that would start a new thread , was thinking of making jalapeño poppers with cheddar cheese (shredded) and freezing"

triscuits mikey,  we put out a variety, but the triscuits (come in different varieties) get cleaned out as well as the pepper jelly  :D

btw LOVE jalapeno poppers!  never made them, so if you do and freeze them, SHARE the recipe!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor