Sustainable Living > Farm Livestock

Coyotes

(1/3) > >>

Dunkel:
Lost a calf to coyotes last night.  It was a calf that had issues since birth.  Once he was born he sucked then stumbled over a bank found the remnants of a woven wire panel and got his head and leg through one of the squares.  Of course this was on the coldest night of a mild winter.  I cut him out and he was ok but always a little slow. May have been slow from the get go.  I hate to get them started killing calves.

G3farms:
We got them also. Lost my oldest and most "mama" cow to them a couple of weeks ago. We will just hope she gave up her life to protect the twins that were born the same night.

neillsayers:
G3,

What a huge loss. I've never had trouble like that where they take on a grown cow. I have had them take sheep, kids and calves. One Pyrenees dog can go long way to protect them-two even better. They are worth the feed.

apisbees:
It could be that mama cow never got up after birthing the twins. Coyotes are scavenger cleaning up nature. one never knows for sure.

Retroguy:
I've seen them around here.  We think it was a coyote that ran off with one of our barn cats.  My kid saw it happen.  Cat was a fighter, came back the next day none the worse for wear.  We here them howling north of here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version