Author Topic: moving a hive question  (Read 1824 times)

Offline J-grow

moving a hive question
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:59:24 pm »
I was reading an old post regarding working hives at night, red lights, crawlers, scary things .......

If your going to move a hive you want to move it while everyone is home for the night correct?

It just seems like you should put the entrance screen on after dark and move it?

Pointers please

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: moving a hive question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:13:50 pm »
You've got it. Close things up with screen when everyone is at home.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:15:54 pm »
I measure and have on hand an exact fit screen wire. Late at dusk place the wire and put two staples from a staple gun in it. Move them in the daylight. Grab the screen with a pair of pliers with bee jacket and gloves on having some grass or straw in the other hand. Pull the screen put the grass in front of the entrance and get out of dodge(showing my age).  ;D

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:25:19 pm »
"Pull the screen and get out of Dodge"

:D :yes: :D :yes: :D :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 03:55:29 am »
I move hives in and out of the orchard for pollination every spring. Pre strap up the hive before hand, in the case of going into fruit tree pollination we so not want the hive to strong, or with to much in stores going in. They will come out 60 lbs heavier than going in.
I strap the hive I use 2 to keep the hive from twisting and allowing bees to escape as It is carried. I use a piece of #8 wire the width of the hive opening by 4 inches wide and bend it in the middle so it makes a long trough like U In the evening after the bees are in I slide the u side of the wire into the opening of the hive I push it in about an inch. If the wire is a little short stuff some grass in at the end. Then I carry the hive to the truck and then into the orchard. Once the hives are relocated I just pull the screen out of the entrance while it is still dark. When leaving pollination sometimes you need to use smoke to get the bees back into the hive to get the screen in. A puff of smoke along the screen will turn most the bees around so there wont be as many coming out when the screen is removed. I don't bother with the smoker but pollination happens in the early spring and it temp at night is cool enough to discourage the bees from leaving the brood nest cluster and flying.
Moving hives at night is a lot easier on the bees as they stay cooler and are more content to cluster and stay in the hive. During the day the bees will want to fly and will crowd the screen and can cause a lack of ventilation that will cause the bees to suffocate. During long hauls during the heat of the day more ventilation is needed. To be safe and with the health of the bees in mind you need to have on a full screened top for ventilation.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline J-grow

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 07:27:58 am »
Very good instructions thank you.

When do you put the screened top on?  Do you pull the solid top at night, add the screen top and strap it to the hive then put the solid top back on until your ready to move the hive?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 01:54:06 pm »
Yes put the screen top on when preparing the hive for the move. then place the solid cover over the top cover until you are moving the hive. If you have full screened bottom boards they will also act as good moving screens. just make sure that there is space around the hives to allow air to get to them.
It is important to point out that all loads of bees must be contained according to all the DOT (department of transportation) that I know of. Commercial beekeepers transporting bees by the trailer load screen the entire load, not the individual hives so if the bees get to warm they come out and cluster out side of the hives. For moving a limited number of hives, using screens on the hives to keep the bees confined works well.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.