Author Topic: Hey Folks  (Read 4500 times)

Offline PappyRick

Hey Folks
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:20:12 pm »
 PappyRick here.  I am getting geared up for my first venture into beekeeping this spring, with 2 hives with a configuration of 2 Deeps and 1 Med Honey Super with Nucs to be available sometime in late April/early May.  Located in Southern Illinois, have taken a Beginners Beekeeping class, purchased my hives from the instructor, painted them, located a spot some 30 miles from the house in an agricultural area, got all the tools I think I need, along with the PPE, read so much my brain is about to explode, and just waiting on the bees now.  Am expecting a lot of work and a lot of fun - I think.  I suspect there will be a lot of confusion and frustration along the way as well.  I have convinced my wife to work the hives with me as well.  We are both retired and should have enough time to devote (if travelling doesn't get in the way).

One question I have that I have not seen any information on in books, websites, forums, etc. is:  When inspecting a hive, is there a particular reason frames should be returned to the hive bodies in the same locations, or is there any advantage to moving frames around in a hive body OR moving frames from one hive body to another (assuming two deeps).  I would imagine as the colony is growing, and you add a second deep, it might be advantageous to move a brood frame from the first deep to the second deep to encourage the bees to begin working the second body.  Are there any problems that might be created by moving frames around?

Was glad to locate the forum, and suspect I will have a LOT of questions.

Thanks,  Rick

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Hey Folks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:54:13 pm »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Glad you found us.
Frame manipulations are often done by keeps with some experience for reasons just like you mentioned. Baiting is a term used to get bees to move when they need a bit of encouragement. When adding your second deep to the top of your first, a lot of keeps will take the last 2 drawn frames, usually number 1 and 10 (or even 2 and 9) and move them into the center of the second deep to bait the bees into moving up.
Great care must be taken when doing other manipulations as the bees know best the configuration they are trying to achieve, and if we as keeps go in there and start messing about (ie: breaking up brood frames and moving access to pollen frames from where they should be, we can end up setting a hive back terribly.
Whenever you go into a hive you should have some idea of what it is you are trying to achieve. It is safe to help them expand the brood nest without decimating it with awkward manipulations.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
 Welcome to the forum PappyRick, I agree with Perry on this one and keep asking questions that is how we all learn.

Ken

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:01:01 pm »
Welcome to the family! Glad to have you! Looking forward to your questions, and hopefully pictures!
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:22:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to see that your hives will be 30 miles away from the house.  3Reds and I enjoy watching the hive from the comfort of our porch.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline PappyRick

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:06:37 pm »
Thanks Perry.  I figured there was a reason not to be moving frames around willy-nilly, but I never found any justification for it.  It makes sense that the bees have things arranged as they want it.  I guess if I had someone visit my house and move all of my furniture and stuff around I wouldn't be too happy about it either.

Wandering Man - Yes I would have rather had the hives in the backyard, but my neighborhood association is a little concerned about bees.  Rather than upset folks, I contacted my next door neighbor whose family has property 30 miles away, and they are willing to allow me to locate my bees on their property.  I had tried to contact the local beekeeping association about landowner near my house who were willing, but got no response.  Alas, I'll just spend some quality time with my wife travelling out to visit my hives.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 07:04:02 pm »
I'm excited for you PappyRick!  Welcome to the forum!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 07:24:59 pm »
 :yes: Welcome, ask what ever !!!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 08:49:28 pm »

Whenever you go into a hive you should have some idea of what it is you are trying to achieve.

Welcome PappyRick!
Perry has the right idea.  I would add:  Know what you are going to accomplish before you leave the house to go check on them.  Since you are 30 miles from the apiary, you will want to make sure you have everything you need before you leave.  Also, maybe some "just in case" stuff.  I would keep notes so that the last visit stays fresh in your mind.  It will help you plan ahead.

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 04:26:00 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Beekeeping can be confusing to start. A lot of info to absorb can leave your mind in a fog. Ask your questions and you will get good, friendly advice from the members.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 07:26:51 pm »
Good place you found, welcome.... :yes:
Cheers, Bill

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:14:50 pm »
welcome PappyRick! 

"I figured there was a reason not to be moving frames around willy-nilly, but I never found any justification for it.  It makes sense that the bees have things arranged as they want it.  I guess if I had someone visit my house and move all of my furniture and stuff around I wouldn't be too happy about it either."

............. :D (excellent analogy)
rearranging, yes they will spend time rearranging what we did and may suffer from it.
perry has already covered some of moving frames around, like he said "Whenever you go into a hive you should have some idea of what it is you are trying to achieve."............... :yes:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Green bee

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:38 pm »
 :welcome: welcome to the forum, hope you have a wonderful experience with your new adventure.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »
Welcome, this site is a lifesaver and don't ever feel a question is dumb or silly.  I am excited for you too, I am starting my third year and have very vivid memories of the day our first bees arrived.  My best advice, make sure you always suited up for now.  Maybe a year or two out you might start to feel more comfortable dropping the gloves, etc but I do not recommend being brave in the beginning.  Best of luck, they are fascinating creatures!

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 04:12:22 pm »
Welcome aboard!  :yes:
Cheers, Bill