Author Topic: What's Cookin'  (Read 45002 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: What's Cookin'
« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2024, 03:05:45 pm »
Honey baked rabbit over rice and egg rolls.  The store didn't have our normal brand of egg rolls though, and they weren't as good as the ones we normally get.   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2024, 02:19:04 pm »
I have been doing a lot of cooking in the last week.  We have quinoa salad with honey in the dressing, Sweet rolls with raspberry filling, and potato soup.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #282 on: January 09, 2024, 02:39:31 pm »
Oh man, I could go for one of those sweet rolls right about now!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2024, 11:22:29 am »
Oh man, I could go for one of those sweet rolls right about now!
They were fantastic while still warm.  The next day required microwaving.  They were truly at their best straight from the oven. 

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2024, 10:33:26 pm »
Sausage and tortellini soup, along with a new homemade dinner roll.  Also, our local grocery store had these cupcakes. :)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2024, 11:49:21 am »
I like to try new and different foods occasionally. Last night's dinner was Korean Bulgogi with a Korean BBQ Sauce, Ssamjang.  I loved this!  I marinated the skirt steak for 24 hours and made a couple of substitutions out of necessity. It is recommended that you put the skillet with the meat right on the table so it stays hot.  Diners are supposed to build the perfect mouthful on top of Perilla leaves ( I used leaf lettuce). My bites consisted of leaf lettuce, meat, kimchi, rice, BBQ Sauce, and cucumber slivers.  I sauteed Baby Bok Choy and had that on the side.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2024, 07:16:37 pm »
I didn’t do home made, but did have Korean bbq Monday night. Pork bulgogi and a kimchi soup. I love that Korean bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #287 on: February 29, 2024, 10:56:39 am »
I didn’t do home made, but did have Korean bbq Monday night. Pork bulgogi and a kimchi soup. I love that Korean bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good!
Last November I treated myself to a one year subscription to the NY Times Recipe section.  They had a 1/2 off special at that time.  I love it! I check it out every day and have tried some dishes that are out of the mid-west norm. 
With the leftover rice I am going to try a Japanese BLT sandwich (?) today.  Bacon, marinated tomato slices, lettuce, rice and roasted seaweed Nori.  I twist on Onigiri. If it turns out well, I post pictures.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2024, 10:36:02 am »
Onigirazu for dinner last night.  These would be good in a lunch box.  My daughter-in-law made something similar and more traditional for a family event.  She called them rice balls.  This is a BLT twist to rice balls.
Bacon, lettuce, and marinated tomato slices. A bit of Kewpie Mayo surrounded by short grain rice and all wrapped neatly in nori.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2024, 05:10:04 pm »
All your Asian food looks so good, @Bakersdozen .  We don't eat a lot of Asian cuisine, and I'd love to try everything you are making!  :thumbsup:

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2024, 11:31:36 am »
All your Asian food looks so good, @Bakersdozen .  We don't eat a lot of Asian cuisine, and I'd love to try everything you are making!  :thumbsup:

Thanks!  When my son was young, stir fry dishes and such were a way to get him to eat more vegetables. Now he is married to a Japanese woman he met in college and living in Japan.  They have two girls. I am always amazed at how flavorful the food is when we visit. Who knew broth could have so much depth of flavor?
There is a Japanese BBQ Sauce that you might be able to find in stores, Bachan's. I looks like soy sauce, but it's so much more.  When I first tried it, I thought that it tasted like Japan. They have recipes on their website and you can order online.  Recently I have been finding it at my local food store. The Onigirazu recipe is from their website. bachans.com
I like trying new things all the time.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2024, 07:47:51 pm »
Today my little sister and I baked cookies entirely without supervision for the first time.  ;D  Mom was working on getting her seeds started, and she refused to be interrupted, so we were on our own.  We made honey cookies using a recipe from Beehive Alchemy by Petra Ahnert.  Everything went really well, and everyone gave them a positive review.  :)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #292 on: March 15, 2024, 11:11:00 am »
Good job!
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember