Author Topic: Do smokers spit out embers that can cause fires?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline TheFuzz

Do smokers spit out embers that can cause fires?
« on: April 18, 2019, 01:19:12 am »
When I was beekeeping last, I kept my smoker on top of one of the beehives. As I was taking out a frame, I looked up and to my horror, there was a ring of fire ahead of me, about a meter/couple of feet in diameter. I ran and fetched my fire extinguisher and put it out. The fire was then catching on again, I realised that in such short time it had made embers which was hot and causing it to light up again, so I grabbed my 20 liter/5 galleon drum of water and poured it all over the area, completely smoldering it.

I didn't go anywhere near where the fire started. The only way I figure it could have started, is if something hot spat out the smoker, which sent it flying about 5 meters away, causing the area to be set ablaze. Can a smoker do this? I did use a small bunch of toilet paper to start the smoker, and I do vaguely recall reading that using paper to light a smoker can cause it to spit out hot embers.

I have a stainless steel bucket. I figure if a smoker can cause a fire like that, then I ought to not leave it out on top of a hive and instead, drop it in the bucket when not using it.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Do smokers spit out embers that can cause fires?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:45:47 am »
If you place green leaves or grass on top of the fuel inside the smoker, it will minimize the risk.  But there is always a risk of fire.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline TheFuzz

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 02:05:20 am »
I'll keep that in mind. I just dry coarse bark on top of the toilet paper!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 04:53:40 am »
There might be a difference in smoker brand names as well, but I have never seen any smoker advertisements that claim to be fire starting resistant.
I try to carry water with me when I go to remote areas check on my hives.  The thought of someone's house burning down because of me and my smoker gives me nightmares.
I have heard folk tales about beekeepers burning up their pick up trucks because of smokers too.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:59:51 pm »
I'll keep that in mind. I just dry coarse bark on top of the toilet paper!
Bees respond better to "cool smoke" than the flame hot smoke you get sometimes. You do not want to see embers or flames exiting the smoker.   The green material on top of your fire filters the embers and cools the smoke.  HTH   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 12:31:24 am »
You can also have small embers fall out the bottom there is a plate or screen that has holes in it to allow air under the fire. if you use a fuel that can slip thru the holes it cam also fall out the billow air hole.
while we are talking fire. driving over and parking on high grass and weeds that are tall enough to be against the exhaust especially the muffler and catalytic converter can quickly start a fire. especially if you let the motor run.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline TheFuzz

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:53:35 am »
I'll have to keep that in mind about the muffler and smoker plate/hole, good to know thanks apisbees.