Author Topic: Pollen Patty's  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Pollen Patty's
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:07:52 pm »
What are the should an shouldn't with pollen subs. ?
Thinking hives need a boost.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Pollen Patty's
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 06:46:27 pm »
For about 3 days, they are good. After that, if you are in SHB territory, they will have SHB eggs and become an incubator for them. Never feed more than  3 day supply, and remove what's left.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:03:38 am »
if there is good pollen supply in the hive or if you see pollen coming in the front door then DO NOT feed pollen substitute.  The only time I think about feeding pollen like product is during a long extended dry spell when there is no sign of any pollen in the hive and hives are loosing population due to no brood being reared (the last time this happened was in 2011 at the very end of a slow evolving drought of about 5 years length).  If you still want to feed the stuff (keep in mind that whatever the product is that is is of secondary quality to real pollen) feed in extremely small quantities < a manufacture strip of pollen patties I would chop into about 5 or 6 chunks and feed these over an extended period. Warning pollen patties are extremely attractive to not only small hive beetles but also to feral hogs..

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:59:28 pm »
Didn't know about the hogs. Thanks Tec!
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a