Author Topic: paper wasps, yellow jackets, red wasps  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
paper wasps, yellow jackets, red wasps
« on: September 24, 2023, 01:00:31 pm »
Tons of them this year, my entrances are small but they are stalking the hives some. There used  to be a trap made with a 2 liter bottle, a 1 inch hole drilled in the side about 2/3 of the way up, water, banana peel and a little applecider vinegar, one drop of dish soap in the water (and water maybe 4 inches deep).  A hole drilled in soda bottle cap, string thru it, piece of hot dog or other meat on string, hung just a little below drilled hole. and find a way to hang in apiary, I think I used a cup hook in the same hole the string went thru.  Did that make sense?  I've searched old site and BS. Can't find. Can't get search to work on here.
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: paper wasps, yellow jackets, red wasps
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 05:11:22 pm »
This isn't exactly what you are describing, but would something like this work for you?
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 06:15:47 pm »
You described it well, but I would use more dish soap. Like a couple tablespoons, and shake it up good.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 11:07:34 pm »
Think I'm gonna do this. Serious yellow jackets this year, they're hovering all over my lawn.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 05:10:45 pm »
so far I haven't gotten a single wasp, but I have gotten a bunch of giant cockroaches, the kind that are 2 inches long and fly. Unfortunately I hung the trap under a birdhouse with some red wasps in it, and maybe if I go back out in my bee suit I can retrieve it for updated contents.
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second