Author Topic: Here I go!  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Bee Commander

• Bee Commander
Here I go!
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:11:11 am »
Decided to make my cell builder today, first graft of the season on Wednesday.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Here I go!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:51:37 pm »
Not familiar with these terms Bee Com  :)  Do Tell
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bee Commander

• Bee Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:22:30 am »
Not familiar with these terms Bee Com  :)  Do Tell
Jen,
After many failures last year at trying to raise my own queens, I stumbled onto this article by David Lafernley. David is one of my on-line mentors from Bee Source. I see that some members are thinking about diving in on raising queens for their own purposes so I thought I would share this. As a beginner (still a beginner) this method worked well for me, especially since I had such limited resources. Warning: get a big cup of coffee! Reading involved here! I pretty much follow this method step by step except that I use one 8-frame deep with a one gallon frame feeder for my cell builder so I wind up with six frames rather than a 5 frame nuc.
http://doorgarden.com/2011/11/07/simple-honey-bee-queen-rearing-for-beginners/

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 04:39:10 pm »
 Wishing you with all the luck in the world with raising the queens, I am so old and wore out all the time that I can just make it with two hives.

Ken

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:43:47 am »
Jason crisman on youtube has a nice video, he shows you how to setup a sell starter and finisher. I think this is over kill for somebody who needs a few queens. I think the cloake board is much easier. The fat beeman shoes you how to make queens too. I think he is the best teacher to show anybody how to make queens.  every Saturday night at 8 pm talks about everything including queen rearing. Look on youtube. This man is the best. No BS just common sense.  His latest video common sense beekeeping. I cant wait to listen to it tonight.

Offline Bee Commander

• Bee Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 04:23:06 pm »
Jason crisman on youtube has a nice video, he shows you how to setup a sell starter and finisher. I think this is over kill for somebody who needs a few queens. I think the cloake board is much easier. The fat beeman shoes you how to make queens too. I think he is the best teacher to show anybody how to make queens.  every Saturday night at 8 pm talks about everything including queen rearing. Look on youtube. This man is the best. No BS just common sense.  His latest video common sense beekeeping. I cant wait to listen to it tonight.
Hi Ray,
I tried the Cloake Board method initially without success. So far Lafernley's method has worked the best for me. Putting a frame of eggs in 4 days before grafting really gets the bees producing royal jelly and has made a difference in the quality and the size of the queens I get. In addition, after the initial set up its just replenishing the starter/finisher with a frame of closed brood about once a week.  I like fat beeman and his videos. Is that 8pm eastern time?

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:13:01 pm »
Yes eastern time. I download his videos with my ipad watch them later. Good information how to make queens the easy way and nucs.

Go to youtube type in the search section, don the fat beeman Saturday night chat.