Author Topic: Your comments please  (Read 1714 times)

Offline J-grow

Your comments please
« on: July 17, 2016, 11:16:03 am »
I just inspected 2 hives and would like to know if you think I handled them properly?

The hives were in the identical stage each had 1 deep that had all frames drawn out and the outside of the end two frames was capped honey the inside of the end frames had uncapped honey and nectar.

The outside of the second frame in on both sides had nectar and or uncapped brood and the inside of the second frames had a lot of capped brood.

I did not go further into the frames ......

On top of each off the brood boxes is an excluder and a medium super that was 30% drawn out comb with some nectar 2 weeks ago and now all frames are fully drawn out and all frames are full of honey with maybe 25% capped

So here are my thoughts and what I did ........ I was or was close to being honey bound correct?

So I added a deep to each and moved the 2ND and third frame from one side of the brood box and the 2nd frame from the other side of the brood box and up into the center of the new deep and put empty waxed frames in there place ( no drawn comb )

Then I put the excluder back on and the the full super back on top ........

There was some brood on one side of one of the frames that I moved up top.

Please critique should I go change anything.  Thanks

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Your comments please
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:33:13 am »
Sounds like you did what I would have done. I might have used the second deep before adding the honey super in the first place, but the end result is the same.
Well done! :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline J-grow

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 01:41:21 pm »
Ok great!  Thanks very much!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »
I would have posted my plan first, than taken the action. It's much easier to correct mistakes that way.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline J-grow

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »
Very true! ....... I was shocked at their progress and was playing from memory on how to handle the situation ......  Thanks again!