Author Topic: 1 Year Anniversary  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
1 Year Anniversary
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »
I missed by 4 days. On January 18, 2013 I "officially" retired. Actually, the company where I was employed had no pension, so I guess I quit.  ???

Anyway, it's been a year and I am quite satisfied that I made the right decision. My apprehension has been replaced with contentment. I "played" more than I worked, and consequently didn't get as much done as I had planned. But, the bees are doing well, the gardens are fine, and the house remodeling is coming along...slowly, but coming along.  ;)

A like minded colleague was a little disappointed that I left...sent me an email 5 months later (Juneteenth), and "retired" also.

Now I have more jeans than dress slacks. So, all in all, 2013 was a pretty good year.  :yes:

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: 1 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:54:52 pm »
Congrats. I "retired" without a pension, too, so was a bit apprehensive. Found out soon that I had more "free"money than when I was working. Life is good.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:59:22 pm »
Congrats on the anniversary. I'm sure it was well earned.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:37:40 pm »
congratulations walt, wishing you many years to come of more contentment, playing, keeping bees, gardening, remodeling and a few more pairs of jeans! 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:19 pm »
It took me a couple years to wind down from the pace of a workaday life.  Glad to hear you have done well this past year.........iddee, where do I sign for some of that "free" money?
Lee_Burough

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:32:31 pm »
It only comes when you learn the art of telling yourself NO, and making yourself listen.  :P   :D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Marbees

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:08:54 am »
Walt, congratulations on your anniversary. you must be enjoying it.
I know I enjoy my semi retirement. Last 15 months I don't work more than 40 hours/week.
Joined forces with my brother's company, have a supervisor who schedules guys and work, my brother does invoicing, money chasing,
most of meetings  :)
I do scopes of work, estimates, quotes, small deliveries of material, and very few meetings. Plenty of time for family, friends and things I like, but didn't have time for. I may even start fishing again. ;D
Bee Remarkable

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 04:06:24 am »
Lucky you!  I can't wait until I can retire.  It'll be about 4 more years when I'm 62 at the earliest (unless I hit the powerball   ;)  ).  Glad it's agreeing with you!   :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:07:46 am »
Walt, congratulations on your first year out. I finally retired when I turn 70, well actual about 6 mouths later, I have found that I seem to have less time now to do things than when I worked and sometimes wish that I was still working even after 5 and half years now.

Ken

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 08:23:56 am »
Glad to hear it, Walt. I've got another 5 or 6 years.
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:11 pm »
Walt says: "My apprehension has been replaced with contentment. I "played" more than I worked, and consequently didn't get as much done as I had planned."
Ef says:  Walt, congratulations on your retirement AND, for having discovered the secret of a happy retirement at that.  Isn't that what it's all about? 
When I first retired, a lot of people would ask me what do I do?  My answer was, "What I want, when I want and at the pace I want."

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:44:49 pm »
fantastic!!!!  Glad its contentment rather than frustration.
    I NEED something to do..   I have been in for surgery a couple of times..  Usually have to force the doctor to let me go home.. force..  no, I just tell them i am going home, they can either let me go or I am leaving anyhow.  The stipulation is that i cant DO ANYTHING...   I always considered anything meaning WORK.. so taking the Harley apart, fixing the lawn mower or working on my truck dont count as anything....   ;D

Put my wife through college, got her degrees, got a masters in health and safety, and she told me she wanted me to stay home. Take care of the house, the lawn, etc...    A little thing called Smoking Sneakers syndrome kicked in, and I left a pair of smoking sneakers twirling in the air behind me..
   I was a little worried that I might not have enough to keep me busy...   but the truth is..  I have worked harder in the last few years than I have worked in my LIFE!!   It took me a while to realize she was trying to KILL me for the insurance.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:57 am »
Pensions are rare these days.  Companies like to let the employee handle their own retirement funds in 401(k)s and such.  Glad you are enjoying retirement.  It's meant to be enjoyed.