Author Topic: Screened Bottom Boards with Beetle Trap  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Screened Bottom Boards with Beetle Trap
« on: February 19, 2022, 11:32:23 am »
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/catalog/product/view/id/1776?utm_source=25k%20Customer%20Upload&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Bottom%20Board%20%28XhR4dM%29&_kx=W_

Has anyone used a screened bottom board with an oil pan, and has it helped with small hive beetles?
RAST, I hope to hear your thoughts since you are located in the South.  You might be familiar with the Beatles and the beetles.

Offline RAST

Re: Screened Bottom Boards with Beetle Trap
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 09:14:17 am »
I use solid bottom boards and top of the frame beetle traps like beetle blasters, I don't use pollen patties. I thought about trying swifter sheets, but have not yet. I lost a nuc last year prior to queen release, one frame must have been loaded with eggs when installed, donor hive would have been strong enough to handle it. I also had a weak hive slimed.
 And yes, believe it or not, Andy Pitts and I were sent to the Principles office for coming to school with bangs in 1965. Times sure have changed.  (my hair changed too)
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Screened Bottom Boards with Beetle Trap
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 10:12:38 am »
Thanks for responding RAST.
I have used the the swiffer sheets exclusively for the past couple of years.  They will trap the beetles.  Every time I go in to a hive I will flip the sheet over.  Some times I find a bunch of SHB hiding underneath on top of the top bars.  I may be undoing what the bees have started which is to propolis the beetles in between the top bar and the swiffer sheet.  I have had good results with oil traps, but I am terrible about forgetting they are there and making an oily mess out of things. I find the SHB can hide under the lip of the oil beetle jails too.
I have a couple of hives that are in a semi shade spot and I thought I might try the screened bottom boards with oil traps on them.
Being sent to the principles office for bangs?  Oh how things have changed.   :D