Author Topic: moisture content in honey  (Read 1394 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
moisture content in honey
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:21:02 pm »
my uncapping station is a laundry sink with a heavy stainless steel rack on top & a bucket with a strainer under the drain. after uncapping an extractor load i put the cappings into a bucket. i overturn those buckets onto the rack & let it drain overnight. coming out of the extractor all my honey has been in the 17-almost 18% range. the honey from the uncappings is right at 22%. the bucket the uncappings are in has a strainer on it but for all practical purposes it is wide open. can honey pick up that much moisture being open to the air for 14-16 hours? i tried running a fan over the top of the bucket overnight & it went up to 23%. is there any way to reduce the moisture? my alternative is to  refrigerate it & use it myself because i can't sell it or feed it to the bees. i have 2 partial buckets full, around 4 gallons.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: moisture content in honey
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 03:16:57 pm »
I think honey does absorb moisture from the air.

We had heavy rains this Spring turning our bee yard into a swamp.  When we harvested, our swamp honey had 23% moisture.  We harvested only a few frames at a time this year, so there was only one bucket involved.  We placed the bucket in a small washroom with a small dehumidifier (purchased from Lowes or Home Depot hardware) running full blast.  We were able to dry out the honey in about a week.  The drying took less time when we poured some of the honey into jars, giving more exposed surface area.  We kept netting over everything to keep stuff from falling in.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 04:57:11 pm »
i have a large pot that i fill with water & put 3 gallon buckets of crystalized honey in. i set the hot plate to medium & it warms the honey to 90*.  i loosen the lid so it doesn't build pressure. when i open these buckets afterwards there is always some condensation on the lid. i put the open bucket of 22% honey on this set up at noon with a fan blowing over it. i just checked it & it's down to 21% already. looks like this might work.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:37:59 pm »
6 hours in & it's at 19%. i'll let it go overnight. i now suspect that honey with high moisture content could just been the honey on the surface. when i'm thru i'll dump it into another bucket & check it again.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:50:05 am »
happy to report that after 18 hours it's at 17%.

Offline RAST

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 08:39:21 am »
I was gonna say to take a sample from down deeper in the bucket. Absorbing moisture is just like removing it. Its gonna do the surface first.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 05:58:28 pm »
after pouring it into another bucket it was a fuzz under 17%. i'm calling it a win.