Author Topic: BEE VAC's  (Read 18586 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
BEE VAC's
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:27:55 pm »
This was MY take on the bee vac....
  I wanted to handle the bees as little as possible, with as little stress on them as possible (actually I wanted it to be easy for ME)

So I started with the base of a hive and a brood chamber, then designed the VAC part to go on top of it...  so at the end of the day, ALl i had to do was put an innver cover and tele cover on it and walk away...

The vac motor and attachments came from a used shop vac that had broken wheels,and that eventually wore a hole in the bottom as it got drug around.. so I cut it up!!!
     Below, you can see the inlet.. it had an angle on it when I removed it from the original vac so i had to cut that off so the bees came straight in without hitting anything.  I made two carb holes to either side of the inlet to help regulate the draw, or vacuum and screened them...
  I used a pegboard to dispurse the suction through the entire top of the vac so the bees wouldnt get Sucked up against it, and covered that with regular window screen..

I made the inlet chamber three to four inches from the top to allow some room for the bees.. and in the event there are a LOT of bees I can drop another box on top of it for additional space..

My first attempt at using it didnt turn out well, still had too much vacuum.. so I drilled another relief hole in the top so I could get the suction slow enough that it didnt hurt the bees..

That made all the difference.. the second attempt went MUCH better with MAYBE a dozen dead bees...
   Because its a standard hive body and bottom board under the vac, I had to make a cleat to fill the lower entrance.. and just used two deck screws to hold it in place...

I can carry it with one hand even full of bees. I have two ten foot pieces of cpvc I can put on the hose to reach UP if I need to..

Disadvantages.. so far is that I suck up insulation and other debris, so I have to be careful.. with the lower vacuum I had less trouble with this on the second cut out I did and was not unhappy with the results.. I also need to find a better hose.. I dont like the ribbed hose that Came with it, and the next hose I bought and adapted is too stiff and heavy.. I have heard that a pool hose works well.. but I want one thats at least two inches in diameter..

Hope this helps anyone looking to make their own!!!
   If you want to buy one.. Give Robo a yell.. I think his is similar but a little more refined..   Cheers!!!
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: BEE VAC's
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:53:09 pm »
Here is mine and it works great on the ground but I like the compactness of yours Lazy and here is why:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 05:19:01 pm »
I have one based almost entirely on Robo's design. The one thing I would do differently is what Lazy has done, and that is incorporate the vac head directly to the bee-vac. Mine is like Dave's, and the second hose and stuff is a pita!
If I see one at a yard sale cheap I may buy it just for the motor.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »
Perry, I have two old, but working smaller shop vacs.  I forgot I had them.  I just may have to build another vac this winter...hmmmmm :geek:

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:43 pm »
Doesnt Robo's later design incorporate the motor??  Might have been someone elses.. been a while since I was looking....

When I did the second cutout I just tied a rope to the strap I use to hold it all together and hoisted it up.. then used the rope to tie it off beside the ladder..   I like it..   I know some folks frown on bee vacs.. but I think I save MORE bees than if I was trying to sweep them up or brush them off combs etc..  I also get a lot of satisfaction when a bee is buzzing my face by holding the nozzle up by it....  PHOOOP  GONE!    As I said.. getting debris in on top of the bars can be a pain...   A little care when using it and its not bad...

When i get to the yard.. I get tine inner cover and lid.. give it a thump downward.. pop the top, drop the lids on...   Use my B&D battery powered drill with a Philips bit to pop out the two screws in the entrance cleat..  take it, and the vac top and head for the house..   No setting up or dumping bees into another box..  Go out the next morning and see them orienting and by afternoon the dead bees from the vac job will be in front of the hive.. under a dozen on last job..  Didnt even see the queen... I was LOOKING.. but she got SUCKED!!!   and apparently survived it....  Still trying to get as good as JP..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:48:22 pm by LazyBkpr »

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 06:34:02 pm »
Yep me too...............

[attachment=0:kuyofqgz]009.JPG[/attachment:kuyofqgz]

Yes robo has a later design incorporating the motor in the sliding part.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 06:48:12 pm »
Pretty good video of an ol country boy and a robo vac.

[youtube:2v74w3hn][/youtube:2v74w3hn]

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:49:26 pm »
Yeah! THATS the one I saw that allowed you to incorporate the comb easier!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 08:24:55 pm »
I built my vac using G's video up there.  I paused him several times and estimated the dimensions from the surroundings and would go workshop and back to the computer several times.  :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:27:27 pm »
ROBO!!!   Wheres yours at? At least a link!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 07:41:33 pm »
Lazy, look at the ad on the right of the front page.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
Has anyone ever used a bucket vac (home depot I think) that fits on top of a 5 gallon bucket??

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »
never used a bucket vac, but word of caution would be that it will overheat quickly in the sun. Wood provides a much better insulation to keep the heat out and away from the bees. I will use a squirt bottle or just sprinkler a little water on the bees if I feel they might over heat.

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 06:26:37 pm »
Good thought.  Makes sense.  Was just curious.  If they survive I have about 9-10 lb hive to vac up in the spring.  Made a temp home for them in late October.  Will have to figure out how I want to get them out come spring.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »
I don't know how far you are from Blueblood, but he's about as decent a guy as you could meet, and I think he has one. If you were close enough he'd probably tag along.  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 08:13:39 pm »
I have seen those up close and personal..  pretty good little vac, but not suitable for bees "as is"  The bees will get sucked in too hard, and they will get sucked against the filter..  to use one of those you need to use a double basket, or another bucket that the bees get pulled into so you can reduce the actual suction that pulls them in.  Ideally, you want them to BARELY get sucked into the hose at close range..  to the point of thinking OMG this is going to take FOREVER!!!!!   Yes! It does, but if you want to SAVE those bees it needs to take a long time.. too much suction, and too much heat will both kill them very quickly..
   Look at G3's design, Robo's design, and mine..   you should be capable of figuring a way to reduce the power of the vac, as well as provide a gentler "landing" zone inside the vac..  dispersing the suction over a wider area allows the larger inner chamber to reduce the actual suction so the bees can settle without getting pulled against the source of the vacuum, and yet allow the HOSE enough suction to JUST pull them through...
   I used too much suction to start with, and paid the price in a nasty sticky mess of dead bees...  Impatience when vacing bees is your enemy.

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 11:38:35 am »
Well I made an attempt to simulate the one G3 made(ROBO).  Only thing I didn't do was the window screen under the top board.  Not sure as to why that is there but hopefully I'll find out before I have to use it.  So chime in if you can Robo or G3...  I would have to trim my hose so it wouldn't puncture it.  I do have the hardware cloth on the second small frame.  The close up of the top shows some small holes. Hopefully you can see the plexiglas there.  It slides in the track.  Also one of my sons got me the bucket vac.  That thing only has about half the suction of my regular one which works perfect for this application. With the vent fully closed it will suck up sawdust about 1 1/2" away from the hose.  With it open it will suck it up about 1/2" away.  Hoping that will work well with the bees.  I have 1/4" foam between all box's to help seal it up.  Any thoughts???

Need to find a shorter strap although for now it looks like a nice christmas bow on top??

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 01:30:17 pm »
Only thing I didn't do was the window screen under the top board.  Not sure as to why that is there but hopefully I'll find out before I have to use it.  So chime in if you can Robo or G3...  I would have to trim my hose so it wouldn't puncture it.

Not quite sure what you were trying to replicate.  Your second small frame looks like perhaps you were trying to make a cut out shim(?) but without the hardware cloth being removable.   As long as you keep that second small frame right under your top piece it should be OK.   

My concerns are with the vac you are trying to use.  I find anything less than 5HP to be under powered and hose less that 2-1/2" diameter to be more harmful to the bees.

Can it work, probably.   Will it cause head-aches for you?  Perhaps depending on the situation at the time.

Best of Luck.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 02:52:49 pm »

I dont like the hose thats ribbed on the inside..   Just seems like it would beet the poo clear out of the bees all the way through to me...    Otherwise I think it looks good.
   Finding a 2 1/2 inch hose is a royal pain.   This stuff is still ribbed inside, but the ribs are smoother, less course and may work.. Havent tried any yet.. still looking.

http://www.thegreenchalet.com/2.5-Inch-Premium-Quality-Truck-Mount-Vacuum-Hose.html

*Sponsor*

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »
http://www.thegreenchalet.com/2.5-Inch-Premium-Quality-Truck-Mount-Vacuum-Hose.html

Save your money.   I have many folks using standard shop vac type hose without issue.  May times 30+ feet with very a low mortality.  If you use 2-1/2" shop vac hose and have a high mortality,  your problem is somewhere else and is not the hose.

http://beevac.com/faq/#vachose

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison