Author Topic: Swarm  (Read 3754 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Swarm
« on: June 03, 2019, 08:42:22 am »

Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Swarm
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:54:11 am »
Slowly, we are getting better at catching swarms.  You'd think it would be pretty straight forward, but no, not for us. This is the third one (in our lives not just this year) and it went really well.  The first was a undeniable disaster, the second was a bit better and this one worked out good.  We shook what we could into the box, set the box on the ground and the rest of the bees marched right in.  Almost like it was planned.  We were grateful for that as we had 3 onlookers.
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:11:23 am »
Sorry about the "interruptions", I'm jumping between devices.  We didn't have any old comb so we rubbed extra wax on 3 frames of plastic foundation to put in the box.  We placed a queen excluder on top of the bottom board, then when we got home we placed a frame of mixed brood and honey/pollen in with the swarm.  We shook the bees off the brood frame before putting it in with the swarm as a precaution.  How are we doing so Far?

I'm curious, if the swarm wasn't the primary swarm and they left with an unmated queen, if they'd even do that, the queen excluder would/could keep her from her mating flights.  Correct?  Thanks, Ted

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:37:57 am »
Also, how long should we wait before we put the rest of the frames in?  How long to leave the queen excluder on?  I didn't realize I had so many questions!  Thanks, Ted

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:38:18 am »
If you only have 3 frames of foundation and one frame of brood, they will draw comb on the lid, not on the foundation. The hive needs to have all it's frames if you don't want wild comb.
I would remove the excluder after 24 to 48 hours.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:32:23 am »
All ten frames are now in and we'll wait another day and a half to remove the queen excluder.  Thanks iddee.  Ted