Author Topic: 2nd swarm  (Read 3845 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
2nd swarm
« on: June 06, 2019, 09:49:10 pm »
Caught a swarm from one of the hives here at home. Actually saw it issue while i was mowing.  It came from a nuc we started this spring which surprised me.  It landed about 20' up a maple, in a patch of weeds and grass that was over my head.  I used a telescoping apple picker with a 5 gallon bucket hung on the tines.  Rather cumbersome but i think it worked, will know for sure in a few days.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: 2nd swarm
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:32:54 pm »
 :goodjob:
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:27 am »
Thanks Neil!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 10:24:45 am »
Good timing, tedh!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 11:57:49 am »
I love swarms! I enjoy standing right in the middle of them, magical! And then feel lucky that I get to see where they land.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 07:35:37 pm »
I gave them a frame of mixed brood and food last night and moved them to the stand this morning.  I'll remove the queen excluder tomorrow afternoon and see what happens, but I think they'll stay put.  We're up to 21 colonies now and 25 is the absolute limit. I  mean it this time! ;D  Ted

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 09:23:29 pm »
Famous last words....  :laugh:
Post again when the count hits 50.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 09:38:13 pm »
Isn't that the truth!  We're only selling about 45-50 gallons of honey per year so we won't NEED any more hives even in a bad season.  Notice I said need? Yeah, this is about me enjoying myself, not selling honey!  Ted

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 11:47:36 am »
Good Morning Ted  8) I've been keeping my apiary down to 2 big hives and what ever nucs I have left at the end of the season. Last year I was able to sell 14 nucs, all medium frames, at $120. So, that's $1680.00 minus $350 for purchased queens = $1330.00 In My Pocket Tax Free!

I was a happy beekeeper last year ;D However, I did learn that I depleted my hives a little too much, so that was a lesson learned for this years hives. But with a good eye and constant care of the hives over winter, they all made it through.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 12:42:35 pm »
Right on Jen!  Side story:  I was at a yoga class the other day and there was a gal there that l looked familiar but I couldnt remember her name.  After the class i admitted that to her and she said " oh yes, I'm so and so and I recently bought 6 jars of "Helen's Honey".  Now, the "company name" is Hermann's Honey and my wifes name is Helene.  So i said, "That's right now I remember. My name is Ted, I'm Helen's beekeeper."  I want a raise, man.  I want a raise.  Ted

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 03:36:54 pm »
Caught another swarm yesterday (number 3).  They were in a lilac bush, about 18 inches ofthe ground.  Slid the box under them, tapped the branch, put the lid on.  I brought them home this morning, added a frame of brood and food along with enough undrawn frames to fill the box and an entrance reducer.  I'll pull the queen excluder and add a inner cover tommorow.  Any more and I'll have to set up another stand.