Author Topic: Easy Slow Cook French Dip  (Read 10084 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Easy Slow Cook French Dip
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:46 pm »
what to do with a beef roast?  not a fan of them, beef and pot roasted to death when i was a kid.... :D   we get a steer every year from a local farmer so i find other ways to prepare a beef roast. this is a good hearty winter meal (last night), and a great recipe for family/friend gatherings. 

2 to 4 pound chuck roast (any cut will work)

2 cans of beef broth> i usually don't have this, so i use beef bouilion cubes in water, 16 ounces.
you can use one can of beef broth, but we like lots of au jus.

1 bottle of dark beer>darker beer also really adds to the flavor, we use leinenkugel's honey weiss. (and one or two bottles for the chef....LOL)

2 packages of onion soup mix> you can use one but 2 of these really gives it flavor

your favorite hearty sandwich roll or bread (sometimes i toast these under the broiler just before the meal is served)

cheese: swiss cheese, provolone, or pepper jack cheese, your favorite cheese

to prepare the roast, i trim any excess fat off, then rub it with olive oil and smear/rub in a pepper mix; chicago steak seasoning made by weber; (ingredients: sea salt, garlic, spices, onion, red bell pepper and red pepper) and a little extra garlic powder.  i sear the roast, all sides,with this mixture on it.

i mix all the liquid/onion soup ingredients together in a large crock pot, put the roast in, put the lid on it and let her cook all day on low, ( 7-8 hours), or if i get it in a little later, it goes on high (4-6 hours).  don't take the lid off, it does not need any basting. 

about an hour or so before it's done, take the roast out and cut it in thin slices on the diagonal and put it back in the au jus for another hour. this really imparts the flavor of the aus jus into the slices, and is very tender. 

load up the sandwich with the slices, the cheese, and put your au jus in a separate bowl and dunk and slobber away!

enjoy!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marbees

Re: Easy Slow Cook French Dip
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »
May I have a slice or two of brine pickled cucumbers on my sandwich, please? ;D
Sounds yummy  :)
Bee Remarkable

Offline denise1952

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
river you have just made me hungry any chance of sending a sandwich through lol

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
good stuff, thanks denise and marbees.  did i mention i don't like crock pots either....... :D
4 recipes go in the thing in the winter, this one, and shredded beef for sandwiches, shredded beef for tacos/enchiladas, and shredded pork sandwiches. that's it.

marbees, i pile on red onion slices and home canned sliced pickles on mine...... :D

MMMMMM, MMMMMM,  GOOD STUFF!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 12:37:34 pm »
This thread alone could add 10 lbs. to the old frame!  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter