Author Topic: 1st crack at creamed honey!  (Read 8821 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: 1st crack at creamed honey!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 06:38:19 pm »
a couple questions for perry and ef:

perry what do you heat your honey at?
"I never heat honey above what I believe to be a "natural" temp in the hive"

ef,
how do you do your creamed honey?
and thanks in advance!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »
Hey river:
I try to never go above 100 -104 F. The bees supposedly maintain a temp in the cluster around 95 - 97, and in the summer time it gets hotter. I saw a pic (I think it was tec's) of a thermometer in the back of an open bed truck that was showing 110 in the shade. :-0

Alright, here are a few more pics. I blended it one more time but it sure looked good to me before I did. I then jarred it up. I put one jar in the fridge, and the rest I put on the basement floor against the concrete wall with a blanket over it. It seems to me some said that is a way to get close to 57 F. The ground below ground-level is near that so place it on the floor next to a wall and prevent it from getting any "room temperature. If anyone else has a better idea, fire away.
I'll be curious to see how light coloured this stuff gets once it's done! ;D

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 07:05:36 pm »
thanks perry! that honey sure looks good!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marbees

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 07:21:24 pm »
You did it  :yes: I was surprised how much I enjoy eating creamed honey :laugh:
Bee Remarkable

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 10:10:27 am »
"how do you do your creamed honey?
and thanks in advance!"

RB, please accept my apologies---I didn't spot your December 7th request til just five minutes ago.

Down to business----
Sometimes I extract frames that have crystalized honey in the cells.  The fine fabric filter I use holds the crsytals from entering my honey barrel.  Using a wide spatula which I draw back and forth across the filter, I crush the crystals and they eventually get small enough tp go through the filter and enter the barrel.
When I pour this mixture of honey + fine crystals into my bottling arrangement, the crystals and the honey get mixed together quite well, on their own.
The bottled honey is placed in the refrigerator for about a week and "presto" you've got it.
So, for all practical purposes, my creamed honey is produced more or less by itself, as an afterthought.

If I were to go about the process intentionally. I would start with a few jars of "old", crystalized honey from my back stock, crush the large crystals and mix them into liquid honey and cool them in the fridge. 
The whole business is really quite simple, and well worth the minimal effort required. 
The pleasant texture of the creamed honey is a taster's delight and the non-dripping ease with which it spreads makes it a valuable, highly desirable product of the hive---IMHO, well worth a higher price than "standard" honey.

Another highly desirable quality of creamed honey is the fact that it doesn't change from small crystals to large ones.  As such, it eliminates the "need" to heat and super-filter  honey in order to keep its desirable appearance for marketing.
The following users thanked this post: riverbee