Author Topic: 1st crack @ comb honey  (Read 9373 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: 1st crack @ comb honey
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 08:01:05 pm »
A reduction in income....    :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline dmartin18

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 08:31:57 pm »
Selling a few nucs or a few pounds of honey. I'm too new to know what is better but the dollars per customer is better selling nucs.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
Welcome, dmartin. You'll find we like to give Perry a hard time. It's all in fun, and don't worry, he can return it and then some.   ;D   :D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 09:07:32 pm »
That Iddee, gettin all soft and mushy! :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline marios

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 07:01:55 am »
nice job perry, got to get down and see how you do things. very intresting

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 08:29:24 am »
I well remember, as a child, how I loved it when my father, OBM, would buy comb honey for the family.  It was a treat with hardly any competition.  Chewing on that delicious comb and having the honey squish out into your mouth in the full intensity of sweetness was a special experience---and then chewing the wax till the last drop of sweetness was gone.
As a beekeeper today, it's easy for me to feast on the slices of cappings I remove from the combs during extraction, but it can't compare to my sister's, my brother's and my excitement when Dad brought us that special delicacy.  It wasn't just the honey and the wax, it was an event.  It was an experience that contributed to lasting feelings of family love.
I have no idea how much my father paid for it, but it was, in my opinion, unquestionably worth every penny he spent on it.
Perry, don't think of the income you got from the sale of that comb honey---try to imagine what a wonderfull experiences you have given to those who have fed on it. 
Your honey becomes one of the fond lifetime memories people carry with them to make their lives happier.  :yes: :yes:

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49:08 am »
efmesch, those are fond memories, mine is finding a chunk of comb honey in the wash tub that didn't have tree bark or dead bees on it when dad and my uncles cut down bee trees in the winter and robbed them out. We thought we had died and went to heaven. Sorghum and biscuits wasn't to bad either ;D Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 05:57:51 pm »

Perry;
   I have found thin foundation to be a royal pain for the reasons you mentioned.. installed NICE and tight, SOME of it still pulled out when some weight was put on it, causing problems across the board..   Starter strips DID work better, but they can still get wonky as they draw the comb down. Its all a matter of keeping a close eye on them and fixing the issues quickly when they happen...  yeah right, good luck with that :P
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 11:46:16 am »
Ef.....your fond memories brought up memories that have not surfaced in years.  I recall that during deer hunting season my Dad would sometimes bring home some comb honey that he robbed out from a hive.  I remember how delighted I was to have him walk through the door with that in hand.  I was fascinated with the fact that bees were stuck in it but like you said, chewing on that comb was the best.  My Dad left us many years ago but my memory just flashed of him walking through the door in his hunting clothes and smelling of wonderful fresh winter air.  Thanks for bringing up the memory. :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 10:32:59 pm »
"Perry;
   I have found thin foundation to be a royal pain for the reasons you mentioned.. installed NICE and tight, SOME of it still pulled out when some weight was put on it, causing problems across the board..   Starter strips DID work better, but they can still get wonky as they draw the comb down. Its all a matter of keeping a close eye on them and fixing the issues quickly when they happen...  yeah right, good luck with that"

i don't use starter strips or thin foundation, from my own experience there is no need to.... but i do place the blank frames in between nicely drawn and straight frames..........the bees fill the crevices with wax then go from there, nice and straight, as long as you mind the 'bee space' between the frames. most of my foundationaless comb honey frames already have beeswax in the crevices of the frames i use, just flop them back in and good to go.  these can be used forever.  if a new one goes in, i put a bead of beeswax in the frames.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor