Author Topic: Swan soaker hose.  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Swan soaker hose.
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:24 am »
I bought a soaker hose I thought was going to be the kitty cats meow until I turned the water on.
I turned the water flow down to almost nothing cause I had like pin holes in the soaker squirting a good distance still same problem but better than any thing else I had seen local.

Sure was dumb buying 2 more of those things. Thought hooking them all together and reducing the pressure would do the trick, Only the first one works when hooked together and not all that well either. Not a drop of water form the other two. Went to their web site to see if they had better instructions on how to use them and there were reviews on the hoses. Never seen reviews where each and every one said the product was junk.

http://www.swanhose.com/category-s/1823.htm

I made up a pail of soapy water and washed them as best I could printed off the reviews and returned them. Customer service person was surprised to see all bad reviews too. I let Kare talk me into one of those ribbon soakers which is twice as long as needed for one bed but right for two. Going to lay it in some gutter I have laying around to keep from watering between the beds.

What are others doing to water a raised bed and not water the whole country side?

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Swan soaker hose.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:19:11 am »
my set up is small enough that I go out every three days and water by hand  :sad:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline kingd

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:24 am »
 I bought 5 of them,huge waste of money.

I now use the Mister Landscaper misting system and have been happy with it,3rd year now with no problems and I leave it out year round.

I also have a rain barrel right next to my raised garden with a hose attached to water also.

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:40:01 am »
I also ahve rain barrels (3 of them).  I can have two watering cans filling up while I am emptying a third.  Works out to be a good rotation.  Just need to adjust the waterflow as the barrels get low on water.

Jason

Offline Newbee

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:05:52 am »
I can't comment to that brand specifically, but when I've used soaker hoses in the past, I've noticed their performance changes over time… I don't know if they plug up on the inside, or need a breaking-in period, or what? Maybe give it a week or two use to see if it improves? Also, I've had success burying the soaker hose to a degree (yes, I know the instructions say not to). I used one to keep a specific bed watered, and used Pine Bark Mulch in that bed (coarser and less prone to breaking-down IMO), and covering the hose with that worked well.

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »
 Get yourself two food grade barrels. Hook up a solar water timer. Pipe pvc  tubing  with holes in it around your raised bed, set the timer for the amount of water you will need. Collect the rain water from your house roof and pump it back to your garden barrels with a Honda water pump. This setup is a little expensive but worth every penny.

http://www.rainbarrelman.com/low-pressure-timer.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Powermate-PP0100381-Honda-Engine-Water/dp/B003TV8EHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436206367&sr=8-2&keywords=honda+one+inch+water+pump

or get a wayne electric water pump.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:53:01 am »
lol, bought the same pieces of junk............

raised beds, we drag the hose out, water by hand if need be. we have had plenty of rain though. if the gardens need a good watering, we bought an elevated sprinkler that works really well, haven't had to use it this year. 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 05:57:44 pm »
I hate gutters and only have them on the front of the house where the idiot who build or had built doors right under the eves and the main front door to the house is right under a valley. I would need a pump to get the water from a rain barrel up front to the raised beds about 200 yards behind the house in the back yard.
Working on a experiment with a PCV section 16 feet long and small holes drill in some locations where the water will get to the plants.

;D  Al.
your not fully dressed with out a smile.