Author Topic: Mason Bees During Cold Snap  (Read 1862 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Mason Bees During Cold Snap
« on: March 12, 2022, 11:04:30 am »
We are having extremely cold temperatures today, and I prepared my honey bees for the cold snap, but I forgot to think about my mason bees, who are starting to hatch.  I know over the winter the hibernating masons don't have any trouble with below freezing temperatures, but now that they are waking up, should I bring them in the house to continue hatching and then release them when it's warm again in a day or two?  It's going to be in the 20's F most of today and the low teens tonight.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

Re: Mason Bees During Cold Snap
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 06:42:33 pm »
In the absence of any opinions, I decided to hedge my bets, and I brought half of them in the house and put half of them in the garage.  So I guess we'll find out which was the right decision or if it makes any difference at all.  :-\
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 04:51:38 am »
Sorry, I know nothing about mason bees.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 10:54:25 am »
I don't know anything about mason bees either.  Since they are native my instincts told me that the cold snap will slow them down.  For comparison, I have daffodils with buds showing.  We had snow and temperatures dip down into the single digits Saturday morning.  The cold will only slow the buds down, not kill them.

Now it is a science experiment.  :)  Keep us posted on the outcome.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 05:46:20 pm »
I don't know anything about mason bees either.  Since they are native my instincts told me that the cold snap will slow them down.  For comparison, I have daffodils with buds showing.  We had snow and temperatures dip down into the single digits Saturday morning.  The cold will only slow the buds down, not kill them.

Now it is a science experiment.  :)  Keep us posted on the outcome.
That's probably an apt comparison.  I'll keep the two batches of bees separate and see if there is any significant difference in their hatch rates.  Many of the males have hatched already, and I guess this sort of situation is an example of why they hatch first.  If a few males get caught out in the cold, it's no big loss.  ;)