Author Topic: What's Cookin'  (Read 45022 times)

Offline .30WCF

Re: What's Cookin'
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2023, 05:07:25 pm »
Spaghetti and meatballs for the kiddos and my wife. I’ll have the lasagna please with some Rosemary Pesto Oil and Asiago Cheese Bread.

The rest will go in the freezer for lunches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2023, 05:10:50 pm »

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2023, 05:19:15 pm »

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2023, 04:48:47 pm »
Baby-back ribs, cheesy ranch potatoes, and some other sides which weren't worth my limited stomach capacity.  :)

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2023, 01:04:07 am »
Looks good. I’ve been eyeballing ribs the last few times I was in the store. Maybe a pork loin. I haven’t done a pork loin in a few years.
What sauce is that? Baby Ray?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 01:04:35 am by .30WCF »

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2023, 10:12:55 am »
Looks good. I’ve been eyeballing ribs the last few times I was in the store. Maybe a pork loin. I haven’t done a pork loin in a few years.
What sauce is that? Baby Ray?

Yepper.  My mom literally buys it by the gallon from Sam's Club. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2023, 01:41:25 pm »
My mom had a ton of violets pop up in her garden this year, so she decided to make some violet jelly from them after seeing a video about it on her favorite YouTube channel, "Celebrating Appalachia".  We think it looks like jellyfish jelly from SpongeBob.  It's really good, lightly floral, fresh, and sweet. 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2023, 06:55:45 pm »
I have made redbud jelly in the past.  It was about that color but not a lot of flavor. 
Today, a friend was snacking on redbud blossoms.  We got to talking and she said that she liked to put redbud blossoms in honey and let it set for months.  She said it picked up a light floral taste and lovely color.  I asked if it crystallized or molded and she said that she hadn't noticed but she does let the buds dry out a little before putting them in the honey.  We are blessed with redbuds in this part of the country.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2023, 09:35:55 pm »
I have made redbud jelly in the past.  It was about that color but not a lot of flavor. 
Today, a friend was snacking on redbud blossoms.  We got to talking and she said that she liked to put redbud blossoms in honey and let it set for months.  She said it picked up a light floral taste and lovely color.  I asked if it crystallized or molded and she said that she hadn't noticed but she does let the buds dry out a little before putting them in the honey.  We are blessed with redbuds in this part of the country.
We are having a good redbud year too. I did not know the flowers were edible. I will have to try some when we are outside for Easter on Monday (we are having rain tomorrow).  The carpenter bees absolutely love the redbuds. Interesting idea, doing a floral infusion in honey. I had some lavender infused honey once, and it was delicious in tea.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #209 on: April 09, 2023, 09:11:05 am »
Made some Potato soup last night. One of the things I hated as a kid, but now love.
We also boiled a few eggs for coloring. They will become deviled eggs today. Mom used to put boiled eggs in potato soup. No bueno.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2023, 09:54:42 am »
Made some Potato soup last night. One of the things I hated as a kid, but now love.   Mom used to put boiled eggs in potato soup. No bueno.

Eggs?  I agree with you.  No bueno.
My Mom's potato soup was on the watery side.  I like to use chicken base or chicken stock, bay leaf, grated carrot for sweetness, celery, onion, flour for thickening, and butter to sautee the celery and onion.  It's been a little while since I made potato soup.

Inspired from our trip to Japan, last night I made Soba with shrimp and mushrooms.  My broth did not live up to what I experienced on our trip but it wasn't bad.  I overcooked the shrimp and vegetables.  That was a timing issue and next time I will know better.   The real hurdle was gathering all the ingredients. 

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2023, 01:04:13 pm »
Mom used to put boiled eggs in potato soup. No bueno.
So there is something you don't like eggs on/in.  ;)

My Mom's potato soup was on the watery side.  I like to use chicken base or chicken stock, bay leaf, grated carrot for sweetness, celery, onion, flour for thickening, and butter to sautee the celery and onion.  It's been a little while since I made potato soup.

Inspired from our trip to Japan, last night I made Soba with shrimp and mushrooms.  My broth did not live up to what I experienced on our trip but it wasn't bad.  I overcooked the shrimp and vegetables.  That was a timing issue and next time I will know better.   The real hurdle was gathering all the ingredients. 

That looks delicious @Bakersdozen !  I don't think I've ever eaten Japanese cuisine.  Is it very different from Chinese?

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2023, 06:14:58 pm »
Mom used to put boiled eggs in potato soup. No bueno.
So there is something you don't like eggs on/in.  ;)

That looks delicious @Bakersdozen !  I don't think I've ever eaten Japanese cuisine.  Is it very different from Chinese?
You nailed it. No eggs in potato soup. Period. But the colored Easter eggs turned into Easter deviled eggs, then today the leftover deviled eggs got smashed up with a fork and put on a Hawaiian Roll with bacon for breakfast. 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 06:29:02 pm by .30WCF »

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2023, 06:27:18 pm »
Made some Potato soup last night. One of the things I hated as a kid, but now love.   Mom used to put boiled eggs in potato soup. No bueno.

Yep. Moms was watery and grainy with cream that broke and eggs and celery.

I did like you said and used chicken stock. I had some cubes in the ice tray from the last time I boiled up some chicken bones, so I put three of the big square ice cubes of stock ( think giant fancy cocktail ice cube ) along with enough water to cover the potatoes to boil. Maybe 5 minutes of steeping some fresh Rosemary and Thyme from the back porch then the herbs came back out. Seasoned it up, added some half and half, cheese, sour cream and sautéed onions and garlic.
About 1/3 of the mixture went into the blender then back into the pot to thicken up the soup. It was pretty good with some extra fixins on top.

We’ll be finishing it up tonight for dinner.

Your dish looks good. When I do shrimp and grits, I almost cook the shrimp all the way, then put them on a plate while I make the sauce in the shrimp pan with the other ingredients. Once everything else is done, the shrimp go back in to warm up and finish coasting to done while we get plates ready. This keeps from overcooking them.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 06:30:13 pm by .30WCF »

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2023, 11:30:18 am »

15th
It is different. The flavor combinations are different.  There are regional specialties, just like here in the US.  Broth has so much more complex flavors than I ever dreamed.  Probably because it is seafood based and I am not familiar with that growing up in Kansas.  There are a lot of popular dishes in Japan that we never hear of here.  Onigiri, Japanese rice balls; Omurice, Japanese eggs over rice; takoyaki, an Osaka area specialty of batter and octopus; Okonomiyaki, vegetable pancakes; karaage, Japanese fried chicken, uses thighs and potato starch with a lemon wedge on the side; Mochi, bean paste that is slightly sweet and there are restaurants that have entire menus based around Mochi; and tofu in more variations than you could imagine.  There are also restaurants that serve an all tofu menu.

The rice doesn't compare to what is popular here.  It's sticky and can be eaten with chopsticks.  I heard somewhere that the stickier the rice, the more nutritious it is. 
We all known Ramen.  The cheap packages of ramen soup are everywhere.  I think those packets contain a lot of sodium in place of flavorful ingredients.
7-11 stores rule in Japan. (they are hard to find in Kansas) You can get anything you want and they are everywhere.  7-11's have freshly cooked meals you can take home.  It's common to see someone get off the train, walk in to 7-11 or Lawton's (similar store), and buy dinner to take home.  Many people are exhausted after a 12+ hour day of work and commuting.

I understand that Korean cuisine is different and equally good as well.  Broth is a key component.  I would like to try that too.  There are some documentaries on Netflix about Korean cuisine and broth that I would like to see.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2023, 10:24:51 pm »
Breakfast
Honey biscuits for everyone

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2023, 05:45:41 pm »
Couldn’t get reservations yesterday or today so we made our own Hibachi.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2023, 05:20:09 pm »
Couldn’t get reservations yesterday or today so we made our own Hibachi.
Oh man that looks delicious!! 

We went Mexican instead a few nights ago, with grilled chicken tostadas with salsa verde and homemade guacamole.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: April 17, 2023, 11:10:37 pm »
I made this a couple of nights ago.  Lemon Chicken with sauce, spinach pasta, and sauteed Bok Choy.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2023, 11:15:39 pm »
I made this a couple of nights ago.  Lemon Chicken with sauce, spinach pasta, and sauteed Bok Choy.

Mmmmmm. Looks good. My wife makes some lemon chicken thing. It’s real good.

I got in trouble today because I made chicken pimento puffs wrong.