Author Topic: Votive candle question  (Read 3081 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Votive candle question
« on: August 23, 2022, 05:41:36 pm »
Hey Everyone,
I light a votive (the larger size) and eventually put it out. When I go to relight it the stored wax in the wick burns up before there's a sufficient wax pool to feed the wick causing it to sputter and go out.  If I tilt the holder while lighting the candle it starts the wax melting and that works okay, but I'd like to not have to.  I make the candles from capping wax and buy the readymade votive candle wicks from Dadants. Any thoughts?  Thanks, ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Votive candle question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 01:37:44 pm »
Sounds like a wick sizing issue…
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 03:12:29 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, which is a shame because those premade wicks are handy.  I use them for tea lights.  Perhaps you could try another company, maybe theirs would be a better size. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 08:11:49 am »
I was thinking the same thing, which is a shame because those premade wicks are handy.  I use them for tea lights.  Perhaps you could try another company, maybe theirs would be a better size.
That's what I was thinking as well.  Mann Lake is a good source for quality candle products. https://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping/diy/ I like to refer to them when I need to know what size of wick to use with each candle mold.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 08:24:56 pm »
Thanks everyone, Ill give mann lake a try. Ted

Anyone else use the dadant ready made votive wicks and if so, do you experience similar results?
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 05:16:32 pm »
I started to order the 5" ready made wicks from Mann Lake, the 50 pk at a cost of $9.95. They wanted $23.00 to ship.   :o. Ted

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 06:18:48 pm »
Yaaah! I was making an order from Mann as well for a couple of new frame grippers and when I saw that same shipping, 23.00 .... No Way!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 07:21:08 am »
I believe I have ordered from www.candlewic.com.  Use the wick sizing suggested by Mann Lake and order wicking from another company. I don't remember what their rates were, but you can try.
Mann Lake has been under some changes lately.  If you aren't ordering enough to qualify for free shipping, it's not worth it.
There is also this guide.  https://www.brambleberry.com/how-to/candles/Art0249-candle-wick-guide.html?j=325098&sfmc_sub=538265056&l=255_HTML&u=8773168&mid=100012982&jb=1677&utm_source=salesforce&utm_medium=em

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 05:30:30 pm »
I started to order the 5" ready made wicks from Mann Lake, the 50 pk at a cost of $9.95. They wanted $23.00 to ship.   :o. Ted
For that exact reason I found a great Etsy store that sells candle supplies called Waxing Moonshine.  They have great prices, and you can message the shop owners if you need advice about anything.  I had a strangely shaped candle mold, and I wasn't sure what wick size it would need, and they helped me figure out which one would be best.  I'm not sure if they sell premade wick tabs though.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WaxingMoonshine
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 03:30:16 pm »
Its impressive how complicated wicking, finding the right wick, can be.  Ive been reading about a salt, borax and water solution for conditioning wicks.  Ive got some #2 braided cotton wick, I think I might give it a try.  Ted

If I havent yet, id like to thank you all for the input!

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 04:10:10 pm »
This is literally what we are here for Ted- to discuss all things beekeeping! Thanks for the topic, and good luck!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau