Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 1347 times)

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Looking for advice
« on: March 03, 2023, 02:27:16 am »
  I apologize for the extended hiatus I have taken from this forum. I have been working through the grieving process for the last couple of years.

I am preparing to jump back into the beekeeping madness. When I first started out I had Russian hybrids and they worked out pretty well. I tried to shift to Italian type bees and though they were honey-making wonders I lost all my hives to vicious robbing from ferals in the nearby forest.
 Last year passed without any bees. I have contracted for Purebred Russian nucs to be delivered in April. So I have started cleaning and repairing woodenware to have hives ready for my new charges.
 Most of my drawn comb was badly damaged by SHB and wax moths after the hives collapsed. I have selected the best drawn comb and scraped alll the mess and old Moth cocoons out of the hives and frames.
 My question: Is there anything else I need to do? I'm thinking the bees will get to work cleaning anything out they don't like and repairing the damaged combs but is their some sterilization procedure that is recommended?

I really enjoyed this forum in the past and learned a lot. This has always been a friendly, helpful group. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 05:09:57 am »
The feral bees only finished off your hives. Something else weakened them to the point they could not defend themselves. Study the varroa mite treatments and keep a better eye on them. Treat them as needed.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 11:13:44 am »
Have you frozen the combs that the moths and beetles got to?  Freezing will kill all the eggs, as well as any larvae (or even adults) you may have missed. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 03:13:03 pm »
 You are right Iddee,  I have an oxalic acid vaporizer and have used it. I did not treat that season, or even inspect for that matter. I'm surprised I fed myself during that period.
 I will give a series of treatments shortly after install and again during the summer dearth. Before winter I plan to do an alcohol wash to determine mite levels at that time.

15th, The frames I am using have been in freezer storage and I have more frames that are under roof and treated with BT. That is the limit of my knowledge on how to prepare this equipment. I have never come across foul brood here on my place so I'm not overly concerned with that being an issue.

Thanks for the responses guys! Glad to see you're still at it, Iddee! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 09:58:27 pm »
Great to hear from you @neillsayers! Welcome back.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 08:57:48 am »
Hiatus happens to the best of us. LIfe gets in the way, doodoo happens, kids have issues, family needs help...   What matters, is checking in when you do get time.   Make a rum and coke, take a deep breath, and log in...  read, relax and enjoy a few moments.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 11:20:44 am »
Neil, if you are certain that they didn't die from American Foulbrood,  you are probably in good shape.  My knee jerk reaction would be that they succumbed to varroa.   Good luck! and glad to hear from you.