Author Topic: Educational Hives  (Read 13232 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Educational Hives
« on: June 20, 2023, 03:29:42 pm »
Our local bee club received a grant from the Great Plains Master Beekeeping program this spring.  Our club established 4 colonies at a nearby family owned Country Farm & Market just outside of Lawrence, KS.  The four colonies are proof that colonies can have different personalities.  One package had 2 queens and one queen flew away.  Another drifted to another colony leaving the queen alone in her cage.  They have been replaced with a swarm. 
Last night my friends, who were instrumental in applying for the grant and setting up the hives, held an open apiary class for anyone interested.  There were about 12 eager learners present.  I joined the class and helped point out eggs and larvae to those that had never seen and answer questions.  This group was thirsty for knowledge and very appreciative.  A few had attended our beginning beekeeping classes but some were people with bees and they were "winging it."  One man that asked me questions had not heard of varroa mites or testing for them.  I was so glad he was there and he had driven from north of Kansas City, Missouri to attend.

Next on the wish list for this sight is a storage box or something to store equipment in. 

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Educational Hives
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 04:01:49 pm »
Awesome!  Keep us posted as the site continues to develop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline RAST

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 08:38:39 pm »
Thats great.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 02:07:30 pm »
Nice! What is in the field beyond for the bees to forage on?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 08:24:50 am »
Nice! What is in the field beyond for the bees to forage on?
Good question!  I think corn.  There was corn across the road for sure!  So, that's not bee food.  It's rural with rich bottom land soil from the Kansas River.  So there is plenty of Yellow and White sweet clover blooming right now.  Across from where I parked it looked like the owners were giving a couple of acres a rest.  It was just weedy.  The owners had mowed around the hives that morning. 
They have an agro-tourism type of farm where folks can come pick what's in season.  Asparagus is a big crop for them as well as cut flowers.  When my son was young we went there for their corn maze.  That's the year the crop artist Stan Herd designed their corn maze that was a turtle. (Google him, cool art)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 06:41:31 am »

When my son was young we went there for their corn maze.  That's the year the crop artist Stan Herd designed their corn maze that was a turtle. (Google him, cool art)
[/quote]

https://www.kctv5.com/video/2023/06/20/earthwork-portrait-abolitionist-john-brown-unveiled-osawatomie/?fbclid=IwAR2V5V3ZROsS9Ufdt1YvlYFI0PEvamk0AjUqGwh30bJ56E5KmEE1nYUgffg

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 01:38:46 pm »
Wow! Just Wow! Check out his facebook page Stan Hurd Arts. I have such monumental admiration for artist's with this kind of ambition. https://www.facebook.com/stanherdarts. Thanks for the link Baker

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 08:39:54 am »
I will do a little bragging.  I was at an state Audubon thing years ago.  They had a silent auction table and I bid on an autographed  framed artists proof by Stan Herd.  I was the only bidder.  It hangs in my living room.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 08:47:08 pm »
Holy Shmoly Baker, I am green with envy! Don't ya just love it when you have found something extra special that no one else saw that was extra special?  :D
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2023, 09:36:50 pm »
Holy Shmoly Baker, I am green with envy! Don't ya just love it when you have found something extra special that no one else saw that was extra special?  :D
That is like the best part of shopping at thrift stores! 

I will do a little bragging.  I was at an state Audubon thing years ago.  They had a silent auction table and I bid on an autographed  framed artists proof by Stan Herd.  I was the only bidder.  It hangs in my living room.

Super cool, @Bakersdozen .  And his art is amazing!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 12:21:17 pm »
Because this thread that I started has gotten off topic, I will keep going.  I found this through social media and thought I would share with anyone interested in the artist Stan Herd.  If you have 25 minutes to spare you might find this interesting. This podcast is done by the owners of the family business, Pendleton's Country Market.  They have allowed our local bee club to set up educational hives on their property right behind their country store.  This podcast features an interview with Stan Herd.  https://www.pendletons.com/?fbclid=IwAR3ggoYrqqV6SjhX-d4R9EPcckSGY2DuMNWFdg8N1FASStYIOhzDRqeyWYA   Scroll down to see this list of podcasts available.  You will find Stan Herd Pt, 1.