Author Topic: Propolis Raw  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Propolis Raw
« on: April 07, 2023, 02:21:01 am »
Hi guys, I have a couple of people who want some propolis. I have some I can sell and was thinking about weighing out some about the size of a walnut or what may be close to an ounce by weight, something like that.

I don't know how to put a price on it. What do you think?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Propolis Raw
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 04:55:48 am »
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 10:14:09 am »
Don't forget to increase the price if you have to handle it more than just selling a walnut size ball.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 01:34:25 pm »
Thanks Iddee  :)

And Baker, you mean if I choose to make the tincture myself? I'm wanting to sell it raw, thinking the size of a large walnut might be close to an ounce?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 10:49:45 pm »
Jen, tonight at our local bee club meeting, a speaker happened to mention that he sells raw propolis for $30 an ounce.  I thought you might be interested in knowing that.  He also suggested putting propolis in swarm traps along with some old comb to attract swarms.  Use propolis if you don't have Lemon/Lemongrass essential oil or a swarm lure.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 11:57:36 am »
Hi Baker, I sold my large walnut size propolis for $20. One woman said its too expensive for her, and another said I'll take all you can give me :D  it would be nice to know just how big a walnut size is... I suppose I would have to measure by weight on a tare scale, don't know how to do that.

Also the one woman said that she buys it already coarse powdered. I would like to know how to powder it. That would be an great way to sell it.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 01:16:37 pm »
Hi Baker, I sold my large walnut size propolis for $20. One woman said its too expensive for her, and another said I'll take all you can give me :D  it would be nice to know just how big a walnut size is... I suppose I would have to measure by weight on a tare scale, don't know how to do that.
Your customers may not care, since it's not rocket science (probably ;) ), but most kitchen scales can measure small enough amounts these days to weigh something like this. 

Also the one woman said that she buys it already coarse powdered. I would like to know how to powder it. That would be an great way to sell it.

I've have heard that if you freeze it, you can grind it in a coffee grinder.  I've never done it though, because I'm worried about gumming up my grinder, and I don't have a second one that I can use only for propolis.  I just smash mine with a hammer and call it good.  :yes: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 11:56:19 am »
I bought a scale at Target that I use for measuring ingredients for lip balm, lotions, etc.  I think I paid around $20.  You can do metric or standard weights, tare weight, etc.
Instead of a coffee grinder how about a mortar and pestle?  I never tried it, just thinking out loud.
Stand firm on your price Jen.  She can look else.