Author Topic: This might be interesting.....  (Read 2859 times)

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
This might be interesting.....
« on: April 25, 2023, 10:22:13 pm »
Worth a watch, the preview is a tad misleading.

Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: This might be interesting.....
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 10:55:58 pm »
Haven't watched it yet, but I will!    The issue I have with the "Organic" beekeepers in this area, is that they want to install their bees, and then come back and get their honey each year, and get upset that they have dead bees, and claim the STRAIN of bees is no good...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 11:13:56 am »
Haven't watched it yet, but I will!    The issue I have with the "Organic" beekeepers in this area, is that they want to install their bees, and then come back and get their honey each year, and get upset that they have dead bees, and claim the STRAIN of bees is no good...

When anyone says that they lost their bees to (pick a cause of death other than mites) whatever the first question to ask is what was your mite load?  Did you test?  Did you treat?  No?  Answer: Mites were probably the reason your colony died.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 07:40:45 am »
For every class or discussion I lead, I make sure one of the first things we do is definitions. If people aren’t on the same page when discussing common words like organic l for example, nothing will be accomplished.
Case in point - the second host didn’t even read the article initially because he had a different definition of organic. This just reinforces communication is key!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 10:11:18 am »
For every class or discussion I lead, I make sure one of the first things we do is definitions. If people aren’t on the same page when discussing common words like organic l for example, nothing will be accomplished.
Case in point - the second host didn’t even read the article initially because he had a different definition of organic. This just reinforces communication is key!

I remember my first computer class and the whole new world of terms to learn.  Beekeeping is the same.
We print a book with our Powerpoint presentations, glossary of terms, resources, club information, Honey Bee Health Coalition Varroa Mite printout, etc.  In my presentation about reading the brood frame, inspections, supering, and summer beekeeping management I always tell the students that beekeepers can be very confusing when talking about honey supers.  We use super and supering as a noun and a verb.  Then I give a examples and explain how the honey super is a superstructure located directly above the brood nest...

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 10:24:39 am »
Exactly! Supers is an example I use too as it can mean not location and size depending on who is speaking and the context it is used in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 08:29:58 am »
 For almost anyone, I would say keeping bees as was done 40-50 years ago is just not going to happen. There are a few apiaries that simply split out as many colonies as possible and let the bees succumb to mites until they have that "magic hive" that thrives without intervention and then they build on that. Some of them will post their results and act as though all beekeepers should be doing the same. In today's world that is an expensive proposition.
 I have been an organic gardener for 40 years. I was a founding member of the Ozark Organic Growers Assn. (now defunct). Since the government got involved with it's own standards, many of which were not approved by our organization, the term has lost most of it's meaning.
 For most people the term "organic" means to farm plants or livestock without chemicals. The origin of the term meant to approach the soil as an organism, to nurture and build it to contain all the macro and micro nutrients the plant needs including the beneficial organisms that help to strengthen the soil. It's always baffled me how this approach got pulled into raising beef, chickens, etc.... But that's another issue.
 As to bees, (or any livestock for that matter), good stewardship means to care for and treat their ills. If your calf has pneumonia give him an antibiotic shot for crying out loud. Get in one's hive sniffing for foul brood, reading frames, looking for varroa frass, the list goes on and do what needs to be done. The alternative is to become a bee hunter and find feral hives and rob them for honey and forget about boxing them up.

Sorry I ran on so long but I'm drinking my coffee and this thought just overtook me. I know you all realize this. Have a great one!  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 10:54:19 am »
For almost anyone, I would say keeping bees as was done 40-50 years ago is just not going to happen.

Sorry I ran on so long but I'm drinking my coffee and this thought just overtook me. I know you all realize this. Have a great one!  :)

Neil, I tell the class that the days of your grandfather putting bees in a box out in the pasture, ignoring them, then going back to collect the honey are over.  Times have changed.
Coffee is the source of a lot of interesting conversation!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 09:55:35 am »
Agreed. back in the day, w lost hives when they sprayed the crops. often within feet of the hives. We had no eagles etc because of those sprays. But, that was about the only MAJOR problem we had. IT IS a lot different now. It is not as easy to KEEP bees. Having said that? It is still not that difficult,if you take the time to do it. It does not require a lot of time. MORE than it used to, but still not enough to make it a pain.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen, neillsayers

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 08:44:13 pm »
Agreed. back in the day, w lost hives when they sprayed the crops. often within feet of the hives. We had no eagles etc because of those sprays. But, that was about the only MAJOR problem we had. IT IS a lot different now. It is not as easy to KEEP bees. Having said that? It is still not that difficult,if you take the time to do it. It does not require a lot of time. MORE than it used to, but still not enough to make it a pain.

Yes, Lazy!  I have a friend who always says Beekeeping doesn't take a lot of time, but it has to be done in a timely manner.