Author Topic: High Mite Counts after Treatment  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
High Mite Counts after Treatment
« on: August 21, 2023, 10:30:57 am »
I just finished two rounds of mite treatments, in one yard, using Apiguard.  I retested yesterday using the sugar roll method on my most robust colony.   I still counted 13 mites per 1 cup of bees.  There was a lot of capped brood present.  The drone brood that I broke open looked clean though.  The fine print in the directions say that you can treat two more times.  I am going to have to wait for cooler weather before I can apply Apiguard again.  Apiguard directions say to apply between 60-100 F.  We are hitting 100F every day for the next week.
I assume that if I retreat one colony, I retreat them all in that apiary?

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation with any varroa control products?

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: High Mite Counts after Treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 12:17:02 pm »
I don't have any experience with Apiguard, but I did have a package of FormicPro not work well one time.  I think it was just a dud package, because I had another package I was using at the same time that was fine, and I haven't had any trouble since. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 09:58:03 am »
I started Apiguard treatments #3 on all my hives.  Temperatures have come down into the 80s the last few days.  I tested the hives I have on rural property and still have high mite counts.  5 or 6 mites per cup of bees on the country bees gave me hope over the 13 mites per cup of bees in the backyard.  If I remember correctly, the bees emerging in September are your over wintering bees.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 10:34:11 am »
5 or 6 mites per cup of bees on the country bees gave me hope over the 13 mites per cup of bees in the backyard. 
Just for me personally, I'd be okay with the 6 mites/300 going into winter (although just post-treatment that is still not great), but 13 is definitely a little bit high. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 05:43:42 pm »
When I look in there and see lots of capped brood still present all I think about is the mites in there waiting to emerge with the bees.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 06:07:24 pm »
I tested one yard with four colonies, for mites, today.  After 3 treatments of Apiguard the results were still not good.  Samples of bees with 1 cup of bees each,  using the sugar roll method.  Hive 1=6 mites, Hive 2=2 mites (Reared their own queen), Hive 3=9 mites, Hive 4=33 mites.
Hive 4 is still packed with bees.  They are Carnolians. 
I gave 1,3,and 4 another final treatment of Apiguard.  I will have to do something else if numbers aren't in line after this.  I suspect I will have to find my vaporizer and buy a battery source.   

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 07:09:28 pm »
Hive 4=33 mites.
Hive 4 is still packed with bees.  They are Carnolians. 
That is horrendous.  Was this colony already treated once?  What was their count before the first treatment?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 08:27:02 pm »

[/quote]
That is horrendous.  Was this colony already treated once?  What was their count before the first treatment?
[/quote]
These colonies have all been treated 3 times.  I gave them a fourth and final treatment today.  The instructions say you can give up to 4 treatments.  The mite count has grown in Hive 4 with 33 mites.  Unfortunately, I can't find the original mite count.  I think it was 29.  SHB counts are almost nothing though.  It's so hot and dry here they don't have a chance to reproduce.

Of course, all of this is somewhat up to chance.  Did I test a batch of nurse bees that were on frames with a lot of brood?  Did I shake them exactly the same every time?  Was there the same amount of brood in each colony?