Author Topic: Amiflex varroa treatment  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Amiflex varroa treatment
« on: April 27, 2023, 07:10:46 pm »
https://www.veto-pharma.com/products/amiflex/
I received an email from the Honey Bee Health Coalition about Amiflex, a flash treatment for varroa mites.  The active ingredient is Amitraz.  Amiflex has been approved by the EPA and is soon to be approved on a state by state basis.
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Amiflex varroa treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 09:15:58 pm »
Hi Baker, so our club has been lightly discussing Amitraz. Seems it's the one treatment that the mites have developed the most resistance too. This info comes from our Agriculture Commissioner for our county, and he's been a beekeeper all of his life. So, I'm leaning towards poo pooing this new form Amiflex, especially when it's been designed for commercially trucked bees? what do you think?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 09:58:32 am »
Hi Baker, so our club has been lightly discussing Amitraz. Seems it's the one treatment that the mites have developed the most resistance too. This info comes from our Agriculture Commissioner for our county, and he's been a beekeeper all of his life. So, I'm leaning towards poo pooing poo pooing this new form Amiflex, especially when it's been designed for commercially trucked bees? what do you think?

It seems the majority of us in this area lean towards the more organic treatments.  Oxalic acid and thymol.  Everyone I talk to uses Apiguard (thymol)  I mention that pests can build up immunity to products if used too long without mixing it up.  Apiguard is so convenient  to use, I can't blame them.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 11:41:47 am »
Agreed. Apigaurd and Oxalic are my go to's

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 10:32:51 am »
Agreed. Apigaurd and Oxalic are my go to's
I'm concerned that we are going to over use Apiguard and the mites build up a resistance to it.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 01:04:57 pm »
In our area, we try and teach to use Apigaurd in the Fall as to not endanger the queen. Then, the the beekeeper and use what ever they want in the Spring. However, I'm not a fan of Formic Acid at all. Many beeks, and commercial beeks use Formic in the spring because they don't have to remove the honey supers. Then if the queen comes up missing there are eggs to made another queen. I don't like that either. It can take up to 6 weeks or more to get a queen mated and laying.

I don't have any problem with using Apiguard for Spring or Fall treatment. I follow the plan of, and example, OA for both Spring and Fall treatments. But I also like OA in the Spring and Apigaurd in the Fall. Switch them out.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 02:21:15 pm »
apistan is the treatment that mites have become resistant to. it was the first on the market back in the 80s. it's active ingredient is permethrin. according to the usda that if you quit using it for a few years the resistance goes away. i can't find the active ingredient in amiflex. if it's not been out that long how are the mites resistant? also, amiflex says outright that's it's not a stand alone treatment. you still need to use something else. the year i used mite away quick strips 2 hives absconded & i lost half of my queens. they say they reformulated it to prevent that from happening but once burned... i use apiguard mid summer & oxalic acid in the fall & early ( march ) spring & i average 5% winter losses. so if it's not stand alone i'd be tempted to try the amiflex before or followed in a few weeks by apiguard. the girls need all the help that they can get. also, maybe using apistan every 4th year could lessen the chances of the mites becoming resistant to apiguard.  note: the weather might be too cool for apiguard in the fall. i treat as soon as i pull supers. if you treat with oxalic acid in the fall and early spring when there's a low brood count you could start the season near mite free. apiguard mid season followed by the amiflex could prove beneficial. only one way to find out.