Author Topic: Frame Spacing: 8 Frame v. 10 Frame  (Read 1021 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Frame Spacing: 8 Frame v. 10 Frame
« on: May 15, 2023, 08:16:21 pm »
I have used 8 frame mediums since I started beekeeping, but this year, as I have mentioned before, I got a 10 frame poly hive to try out.  I would have gotten it in 8 frame, but the company I decided on didn't offer it.  I have noticed that the spacing is much tighter in the 10 frame boxes.  I can easily get my index finger beside the end frames in my 8 frame boxes when the frames are pushed together, but I can barely get the end frames in and out of the 10 frame hive.  Is the frame spacing tighter in all 10 frame boxes?  Or is it just something with this poly hive? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline RAST

Re: Frame Spacing: 8 Frame v. 10 Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 08:45:13 pm »
 I don't know about the poly hive but different manufactures can use different spacing. Example I run 8 frame boxes, I always used the 13 3/4" boxes like Dadant sells, Mann Lakes and one other I know of are 14" wide. Frame spacing should remain the same with the frames up against each other and only the outside two different with respect to the side wall.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Frame Spacing: 8 Frame v. 10 Frame
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 12:05:38 pm »
Frame spacing should remain the same with the frames up against each other and only the outside two different with respect to the side wall.
Yes, I always keep the frames tight together. 

I don't know about the poly hive but different manufactures can use different spacing. Example I run 8 frame boxes, I always used the 13 3/4" boxes like Dadant sells, Mann Lakes and one other I know of are 14" wide.
I have several different manufacturers of 8 frame boxes, and I've never noticed a significant difference like this between them.  I have boxes with slightly different wall thickness, but the inside dimensions are more or less identical. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.