Author Topic: Ants in Telescoping Top  (Read 1080 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Ants in Telescoping Top
« on: June 03, 2023, 07:26:47 pm »
I've discovered three black ant nests in three hives this spring between inner covers and telescoping tops.  I switched the solid inner covers to screened ones so the ants don't have any floor to set up shop on, and I sprinkled cinnamon in the covers as a further deterrent.  The ants dispersed and all seemed well, but today I noticed a trail of ants going up one of the hives again.  They aren't between the two covers anymore now, they are between the metal and the wood in the telescoping top.  Anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of them now that they are hunkered down where I can't get to them?  I'm sure they are sneaking some honey out of the supers, although I'm not sure how much of a real problem they are.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Ants in Telescoping Top
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 08:54:40 am »
Hmmmm, I would think the heat of the sun would prevent ants from nesting between the metal top and wood.  How about a bead of caulk around the metal lid to seal the ants in there and starve them?  Or would that drive them down into the hive through the wood?
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 12:03:27 pm »
Hmmmm, I would think the heat of the sun would prevent ants from nesting between the metal top and wood.  How about a bead of caulk around the metal lid to seal the ants in there and starve them?  Or would that drive them down into the hive through the wood?
That's a great idea.  I'm pretty sure they are too small to chew through the wood, although they could maybe chew through the caulk.  I guess we'll find out.  :)
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline RAST

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 08:42:05 pm »
I've had bull ant problems before, but never had a problem with the smaller ants, they will crawl around on the outside of the hive, especially with bucket feeders. I have always ran migratory covers so that keeps them from trying to nest there.