Author Topic: HOPGAURD  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
HOPGAURD
« on: May 15, 2022, 03:03:15 pm »
While I'm wading thru the Pests and Diseases section, have any of you used Hopgaurd 3? And what do think of Hopgaurd?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: HOPGAURD
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 05:23:01 pm »
I used the original Hopguard, It worked fair..  never used two or three because I started treating with OA. Have never needed anything else.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 11:17:35 am »
I have used Hopguard, in the spring, a few years back.  I don't remember if it was 3 or not.  It worked fine.  Others report they have not had good success with Hopguard.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 11:03:00 pm »
Reason I'm asking is, I've been using OA vap for over 15 years with great luck. My vaporizer is a Heilizer made in Canada and I now have their newest model which is terrific.

Two years ago early Fall, I get the mite explosion of the century. Five robust, healthy hives and Thousands of mites all of a sudden. I keep fresh sticky boards under all my hives and check them weekly. A seasoned bee buddy said to go into those mites with double guns, so I did. I didn't want to do FormicPro because the bees were already weekend by the mites so it could have killed too many bees. So I went with Apivar - 6 week treatment, plus an OA vap every 4 days until the mites were knocked out and past the mite breeding period of 21 days.

Seems the mite explosions or mite bombs can occur with how many mother mites there are in the hive, and how many daughters those mother mites produce. This factor is what can make a mite explosion.

That is when i thought the mites might be getting resistant to OA and I've been experimenting with different treatments so I can alternate spring and fall treatments.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 12:17:41 am »
As I understand it, its not possible for them to become resistant to OA. OA does not kill by being ingested.  Mite bombs can happen at any time, and its not usually from your own hive. A neighbors hive, a feral hive not being treated is overrun by mites, eventually the bees abscond and find a new place to live, and they take a LOT of those mites with them, straight to YOUR hives...

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 01:00:01 am »
'A neighbors hive, a feral hive not being treated is overrun by mites, eventually the bees abscond and find a new place to live, and they take a LOT of those mites with them, straight to YOUR hives...'

So, it's my understanding that absconds are not going to go into, and join another existing hive.

Then again, if the abscond is without a queen, maybe they would be allowed into another existing hive ... hmm

According this article I read this evening on "varroa-mite-reproduction.edu" It explained how the few mites that scoot into the drone cell right before the drone cell is capped... if all or most of those mites are mother mites and they birth daughters, who are going to get mated and become mother mites themselves... Holy Shmoly now you have an overload of mother mites all laying more daughter mites and on and on. And all at once there is an explosion mites.

So Lazy, I was under the same impression as you for Years. But I think I'm seeing a deeper science of mites now...

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 10:41:49 am »
I think drifting and robbing behavior play a big part in spreading mites and the diseases they vector.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 11:17:15 am »
I think drifting and robbing behavior play a big part in spreading mites and the diseases they vector.
That's true.  And the other thing to keep in mind is that bees that are foraging together on the same flower can easily transmit mites between them. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 11:45:18 am »
Good morning Baker and 15th :) Exactly! however the casual daily transmission of transferring and exchanging mites is the norm so to speak. But when it comes to mite explosions and mite bombs when hundreds of mites are hatching daily, it has to happen within the reproductive cycle of the mites.

Oh and I would like to add that the Apivar and the hefty assault with the OA every 4 days worked out brilliantly! All the hives made it thru the winter  ;D

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 12:20:28 pm »
Good morning Baker and 15th :) Exactly! however the casual daily transmission of transferring and exchanging mites is the norm so to speak. But when it comes to mite explosions and mite bombs when hundreds of mites are hatching daily, it has to happen within the reproductive cycle of the mites.

Oh and I would like to add that the Apivar and the hefty assault with the OA every 4 days worked out brilliantly! All the hives made it thru the winter  ;D
I don't want to speak for Bakers and Lazy, but the point I was trying to make is that if someone's mite-filled abscond leaves their hives and takes up residence close to yours, it can bring a big influx of mites to your area, which can contribute to overwhelming your bees. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 12:39:37 pm »
 :yah:
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 01:01:15 pm »
I agree with that as well  :)  when swarm season arrives, and I see that so many beekeepers, especially newbees, are catching swarms, I have to remind them they have to treat that swarm because you don't know where it came from. Inevitably! their swarm hives are almost dead by Fall. It's the newbees that have to learn the hard way about mites.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 01:05:33 pm »
I agree with that as well  :)  when swarm season arrives, and I see that so many beekeepers, especially newbees, are catching swarms, I have to remind them they have to treat that swarm because you don't know where it came from. Inevitably! their swarm hives are almost dead by Fall. It's the newbees that have to learn the hard way about mites.

I was no exception.  :sad:  I lost one of my first two hives to mites the first year and almost lost the second one, but treated them just in time to get them through the winter.  I never underestimated them after that.  :yes:

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 01:58:55 pm »
Mee too. The first 3 years I killed a lot of bees because I had no idea what I was doing, in a county where I couldn't find another beekeeper to bother. Then I stumbled onto the this forum, the best thing that happened to my beekeeping muddle. These people helped explain soo much stuff over and over to me until I got it.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 07:17:20 pm »
And thats when we met Jaybird!!!! Chasing swarms in her jammies!   :laugh: 
    Michael Palmer talks about MITE BOMBS and absconds in one of his videos about "natural" beekeepers and why it hurts ALL hives in the area when the bees are left to die from mites "naturally.

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 09:42:22 pm »
 :hijack:

I have gone on this rant before, but will reiterate it here...
The second you put those bees in a box, you are now responsible for them.  There is no longer any "natural" to it.
Animal Husbandry must dictate that you treat these animals an keep them healthy.  that includes putting feed out in spring to help, as well as fall to help them overwinter.  Treating mites is also on that MUST list. 

You wouldn't let cattle, horses, or more personably, a dog or cat suffer with a disease or parasite and die "naturally" without trying to help (or if you would, we don't have much to discuss), so why is this any different?

And worse, in this case your lack of responsibility does affect everyone around you as well.

End Rant.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau
The following users thanked this post: LazyBkpr

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 02:36:36 pm »
Wholeheartedly agreed.

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2022, 05:40:40 pm »
Okay. Hold on a sec.  Lazy? All do respect brother, but "not possible for them to become resistant" to OA? Respectfully my friend, they said the same thing about Roundup. Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2022, 06:24:58 pm »
As I understand it, its not possible for them to become resistant to OA. OA does not kill by being ingested.  Mite bombs can happen at any time, and its not usually from your own hive. A neighbors hive, a feral hive not being treated is overrun by mites, eventually the bees abscond and find a new place to live, and they take a LOT of those mites with them, straight to YOUR hives...
Okay. Hold on a sec.  Lazy? All do respect brother, but "not possible for them to become resistant" to OA? Respectfully my friend, they said the same thing about Roundup. Ted
Based on what I've read about OA, scientists aren't exactly sure how it kills mites, so whether it's prone to creating resistance is unclear.  As such, it's recommended to rotate it with a different mite treatment, just in case. 

Offline RAST

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 09:28:18 pm »
I am treating the 3 swarms I caught last month, I wish I had another place to put them away from my other hives til done, but don't.