Author Topic: I did it, I bought a farm  (Read 12522 times)

Offline DLMKA

I did it, I bought a farm
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:39 pm »
Not a big place but big enough to get myself in lots of trouble. Found 11.5 acres with 6 bedroom old farmhouse with a barn and a couple decent outbuildings and the price was right. 6 acres are in grass/alfalfa hay the house and buildings sit on about an acre and the rest is pasture set up into 6 grazing paddocks.  I'll have more room for making and storing bee equipment and can keep some hive on site for queen rearing and any hives that need to be close to home for feeding or whatever. We close July 18. Hoping to have chicks in brooder pens within 3 weeks so we can fill the freezer with chicken before winter. Would like to start with some hogs in the spring unless I can get a nearly grown gilt that  can get AI in winter to have piglets in spring. The house is right on a fairly busy road which will be good for selling honey and produce.

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
Re: I did it, I bought a farm
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:43 pm »
Congrats and good luck!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:56 pm »
SuuWeeet farm house  :)   Many blessings on your new property  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:04:19 am »
 I like it, space to roam.

Ken

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:08:49 am »
That is great!! Nice looking place and hope you will enjoy it.

..............now the work begins!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:28 am »
WOW!  Nice looking place!  Replant six of those acres into bee pasture. Plant 20 - 30 hives right there.  Yep, a nice pig pen, a chicken coop.. and a Horse.. have to have a horse. Every farm has an old horse roaming around just for the day Gas prices permanently hit $5.00 a gallon..   Is the hand pump still in the yard?  Have to have a hand pump somewhere out there...   when the temps hit 105...  there is nothing like ducking your head under that hand pump.......    :o  OMG thats cold!!!
   City folks think that your life is over when you buy the farm.. You know why they "still" think that way?   Because the rest of us dont want them city folks to know thats when life really begins!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:41 am »
Absolutely Fantastic! I am jealous for shizzle.  Big ole classsic American Four Square and that vintage barn and lush land....you sir, are going to get in trouble with all that, ha!  :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:30:03 am »
very nice! nothing like country living, enjoy!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 02:09:52 pm »
Beautiful. Enjoy it.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 05:12:31 pm »
Beautiful man!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Offline DLMKA

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »
Thanks everyone! We can't wait to move, ready to get away from lazy, irritating next door neighbors that lack boundaries and can't mind their own business and have to meddle in mine. Kids are looking forward to getting some animals and we'll probably end up with a great pyrenees pup as a flock/herd watchdog.

I don't want anything to do with horses, I don't mind looking at them or being around them, just don't want to own one. We tried hard to find a place tucked back into a secluded area of timber but with some flat, tillable acres but they just don't exist in this part of the country, we have row crop production ag around us so I probably won't be keeping many hives there. There is a bunch of relcaimed strip mine just to the north a few miles, will try to make friends with some landowners up there and have a place to put bees and will be keeping the main apiary a mile from current house. It's 30 miles away but I'll be coming right past it on my way to work 2-3 days a week so I can make regular visits. I also want to keep a relationship with the old man that owns that ground. He has 68 acres surrounded by residential areas but has resisted being bought out and usurped by the city. He doesn't ever want that to happen to his land. I would like to, at some point, have the option of buying it from him.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 06:26:52 pm »
we have row crop production ag around us so I probably won't be keeping many hives there.

? Why not?  Most of my hives have corn and beans growing within a few feet of the hives. Fence rows, draws, cricks, etc, etc.. lots of opportunity. Maybe not 20 or 30 hives worth, but I'd bet you could manage six to ten there.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline DLMKA

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:15:19 pm »
Why not?  Most of my hives have corn and beans growing within a few feet of the hives. Fence rows, draws, cricks, etc, etc.. lots of opportunity. Maybe not 20 or 30 hives worth, but I'd bet you could manage six to ten there.

I didn't say I wouldn't keep any. I have a spot right in front of the barn where I want to put some, they'll be visible from the road but behind a gate and electric fence and very near the house. It will be good season long advertising for honey. I'll be keeping good drone mother hives there and doing all my future queen rearing and use the area for mating yard. I have other, more secluded areas where I can keep bees with better forage and sheltered from the wind and spray drift.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:35 am »
Maybe a tbh or two also?  ;)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 11:41:17 am »
I like your outlook on life DLMKA.  Beautiful spot with limitless possibilities.  8)
Lee_Burough

Offline DLMKA

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 04:05:53 pm »
I like your outlook on life DLMKA.  Beautiful spot with limitless possibilities.  8)

As the sole provider for a family of 6 and having had my income taken away due to lay-off back in 2009 my outlook changed completley. I'm looking for ways to make myself resistant to the loss of income as long as I'm healthy. I haven't felt comfortable since being rehired and back in the workplace that I'll have a job next week and I hate that. We've been doing things to provide for ourselves out of need. I'm probably never going to make a living keeping bees but have made some good side income and the plan in motion is to continue to have some bee income. The kids are old enough now that they can help out with things and the two girls are GREAT salespeople.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 04:21:46 pm »
Homesteading ~ It's a Good Thing!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Gypsi

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »
Good for you. Hope my day is coming soon. Meantime I just keep farming 1/3 of an acre...

Offline DLMKA

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 11:55:21 pm »
Good for you. Hope my day is coming soon. Meantime I just keep farming 1/3 of an acre...

I have a double lot in town now, about 1/4 acre. I went as far as I could and then a little. The chickens were too much for the city officials and made me remove them last year. Pretty sure the animal control guy that came to make sure they were gone wasn't impressed with the pile of feathers I left in the grass. Made good dumplings though....

Offline tmrschessie

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 07:24:58 am »
Congratulations. That is a beautiful old home and out buildings. We bought 80 acres when we moved back up to Nebraska...that was just to much for us. We are now on 5.5 acres. We butchered 20 meat birds Wednesday have about 60 more as they make weight. The geese have six goslings waddling along as of a week ago. The laying hens give about 9 eggs a day...plenty for us and to sell a few. We had been raising a couple of beef calves every year or so but with calves close to a thousand or so....we are going back to venison. With an occational butcher shop 1/4 beef and hog. If your going to raise hogs make sure you can keep them penned. If they can get out they will. Been there done that. I think you idea of going for the bees is the best....Canning produce also helps.  Might consider putting in an outside wood burner to heat with. Saves a lot of spendable income. Just some of the things we have done to be more self sufficient. Tom