Author Topic: Pricing Beeswax and Beeswax candles  (Read 25772 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Pricing Beeswax and Beeswax candles
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:43:04 pm »
How do you guys/gals price your beeswax and beeswax candles,

I have had some folks wanting to buy my wax. So I just through a number out 15.00 per pound. They didn't blink an eye. 4 maybe 5 lbs gone since last night,  :)

I am also making candles. Should I weight the candles. and charge by how many ounces are in the candle. Some have 3oz, 4oz and 8oz of wax after coming out of the molds. I'm thinking 2.00 per ounce but I am just guessing at this point.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Pricing Beeswax and Beeswax candles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:04:17 pm »
Wha.... !?! Really Yankee!?! You Are Having Too Much Fun This Season, I've had just about enough of this!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:27:28 pm »
Having the time of my life Jen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:37:17 pm »
Oh Wow! Those are beautiful, I have to have one... that is if your selling them retail and into shipping to me again. Name your price  ;)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:18:04 pm »
That's my issue. I'm trying to figure a fair price.

That skep is 8oz. The Honeybee is 4oz. I have a 3rd that is still cooling. It's a Honey Pot, pretty cool.

I am looking on line and found a skep that is 6oz. they asking13.95

I am thinking 1.50 or 1.75 an ounce on the candles.

Just looking for input at this point.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »
Beeswax..  When I tried to look it up I saw prices from $4.00 a lb locally to $14.00 a lb.. the 14 a lb was for RAW beeswax on Amazon..   LOL, I wont be buying any there for sure!

Brushy Mt's price for raw settled beeswax;

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/1-lb-Raw-Settled-Beeswax/productinfo/450/
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »
Whatever you do Yankee, don't short yourself, especially with the holidays coming up. People pay the price for nice beeswax candles. Humble is not an option here  ;) 8)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »

Skeps = 1.8 ounces = $3
Pair of tapers = 3.7 ounces = $6
Beeswax bar = 1.1 once = $1.50
Emegency taper = 8.0 onces = $11

Prices (mine) vary according to market conditions. Only sell wax bulk if you have so much you don't know what to do with it. Prices here just went up to $20 a kilo from $15 last year.
Lots of people looking to buy wax to make candles and sell them, so why not do the value added stuff yourself?  ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:07 pm »
I was stunned when I found out that bees wax sells for roughly the same as honey by weight.   It takes me about 4 times the amount of work to produce a pound of clean cappings wax as one pound of honey.   If you can get $15/pound you're doing great. 

I used my wax to paint my plastic foundation.  You brush it on with a foam brush so that the edges of each cell get a nice build up of wax.  If you are not stingy, one pound does about 15 frames.  This may seem like a lot, but the difference is quite amazing.  The bees re-shape that wax to start the cells, making the first 1/3 of the cell wall with what's there.  The frames take just a couple of days to get drawn instead of a week.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:12:38 am »

I used my wax to paint my plastic foundation.  You brush it on with a foam brush so that the edges of each cell get a nice build up of wax.  If you are not stingy, one pound does about 15 frames.  This may seem like a lot, but the difference is quite amazing.  The bees re-shape that wax to start the cells, making the first 1/3 of the cell wall with what's there.  The frames take just a couple of days to get drawn instead of a week.

I do the same, only with a small foam roller brush.  I never have enough wax for making crafts with so I just reinvest it back into my hives.
When pricing candles, I don't think you want to price them according to how much wax you have in them.  You also have to consider your time and additional materials.  I would seek out other beekeepers in your area (local bee club or farmers market) and find out what they are charging for their products.  It will give you an idea of what is fair.

Here's what Michael's craft stores sell beeswax for: http://www.michaels.com/artminds-candle-making-natural-beeswax/10173317.html#q=beeswax&start=2

Offline rodmaker

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »
  Dadant sells bees wax from 7:00 to 8:50 per pound depending on the grade of wax.
joseph

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:47:27 pm »
For those interested, there is an article in the September 2014 issue of American Bee JournalStarting A Beeswax Candle Business by Mary and Bill Weaver.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it's loaded with lots of pictures.  Yankee11, It looks like the article covers setting prices.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 07:58:13 am »
I should get a subscription to that magazine, it sounds like it has good stuff in it. I get "Hive Lights" because I belong to the CHC, but it is only quarterly, and has limited value IMHO.

Edit = WOWSERS!!! :o A 1 year subscription for Canadians is $43!!
Don't think I'll jump before thinking that one over.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 09:20:46 am »
Here is the price from Bee Maid which is the largest honey cooperative in Canada.
http://www.beemaidbeestore.com/product.php?txtCatID=156&txtProdID=410
I was talking to a friend that has candles made for him and sells lots of candles and the bulk price of beeswax is $5.00 a pound in large blocks buying a pallet full at a time.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 10:45:07 am »
After posting about the article in American Bee Journal, I realized it might be impossible for some members of this forum to get their hands on a copy.  Kim Ericksen's website, which she designed herself, is www.bandehoneybeeproducts.com.
A brief synopsis:
Kim decided less than one year ago to go into the candle making business. 
She had existing computer skills and then received some help to set up her own web site.
She designed her own business cards, labels, and brochure on her own computer and prints them out herself.
She has set high standards for herself and the candles she makes.
Her most difficult mold to work with, a pine cone, is also her best seller. 1 out of 4 goes back into the melting pot.
In her planning, Kim has kept in mind expansion into other honey related items.  Currently, there are only candles for sale.
Second hand shops, etc were used to find inexpensive equipment to work with. 
Starting small and simple, with two molds that were given to her, she reinvested the money back  into more equipment.
Through trial and error, Kim has learned which venues work best for sales.  Fall and early winter seem to have the best sales.
To answer questions about beeswax blocks, she printed a brochure, which has her website address included, using a list of 101 uses for beeswax originally compiled by "Crafting Montana".
SETTING PRICES
1. She comparison shopped online to come up with an average price.
2. She then took into consideration her small Minnesota community.  It would be easy to over price.
3. Further research with Mann Lake resulted in average burn times for the candles she makes.  "I have also put some average burning times on the price cards for each candle style.  It helps people understand the higher price of beeswax when they see how long it burns."
4.  Kim restocks her inventory as needed.  Instead of trying to figure out what is going to sell.  She builds to par levels.
5. After trial and error, only cotton wicks are used.  On the back of her business card, she has included information on proper burning and care of beeswax candles. (Clever girl 8))

The rest of the article goes into depth about the straining of wax, getting wicks straight, not over heating wax and so on.  As this thread was about pricing, I will stop here.  There are also many wonderful pictures of pouring wax, straining wax, her displays and so on.

Perry: a one year subscription to ABJ is also $43 for Canadians, $28 in the lower 48.   It is a monthly publication.  I know there is an electronic version of this as well, but I don't know the pricing.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 09:31:00 pm »
Heres what I have sold so far.

4 1lb blocks- 15.00 each
Honeybee candles 4oz- 6.00
Honey Pot 5-6oz-7.00
Skeps 8oz-11.00

Sold out of all of them and people waiting for more.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 11:12:11 am »
I dont make anything but 1oz bars of wax and sell them for $3.00 each.  And they sell well at that price.most sewing or craft people are tickled to get wax without having to ordet and pay shipping.  As for bulk buyers of wax i stay away from that market.  Your working for 30 cents an hour so the other guy can make the money off your product
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 11:27:22 am »
Great topic!  Thanks for starting it!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 06:29:37 am »
I dont make anything but 1oz bars of wax and sell them for $3.00 each.  And they sell well at that price.most sewing or craft people are tickled to get wax without having to ordet and pay shipping. As for bulk buyers of wax i stay away from that market.  Your working for 30 cents an hour so the other guy can make the money off your product

This is someting I am in agreement with. I constantly get emails from folks looking to buy beeswax. There seems to be a huge increase in the number of folks making and selling candles and creams etc., so much so that one of the largest producers/supplier of beeswax has raised thier prices and had to drop some of the high volume purchasers.
$20 a kilo is the going price now, but even that doesn't seem to be slowing down the seekers.
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 11:07:43 am »
This topic makes me feel better when i look at the 5 gallon buckets of cappings i have to melt down later. O:-) Jack