Author Topic: Two questions. How do you prevent crystalization?  (Read 10455 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Two questions. How do you prevent crystalization?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »
I just ordered a 5 gallon pail heater from Mann Lake.  It was a fair price and I got in on the Black Friday special of 13% off.  Also got free shipping  because my I ordered over $100 worth of product. 
Thanks riverbee for the advice.
Thanks Perry for adding a link to Mann Lake in a candle mold thread, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the discount and free shipping.  I had been waiting to see what Cyber Monday specials would hold.
Thanks everyone else who made suggestions.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »
bakers, you will really like and appreciate the bucket heater, your welcome!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 11:24:54 pm »
Would a crock pot, slow cooker, on low setting thin the honey without ill effects?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »
dunno lazy, never tried that with bottled honey? 
think i would be concerned about any plastic in a crock pot or slow cooker sitting directly on the base?

any honey i have are in 5 gallon pails; bucket heater goes on to liquefy it to strain it to another 5 gallon pail with a honey gate on.  if during winter months i pour some bottles up from folks that ordered from me and looks like some crystals might be in it, i put the jars in a pan of hot water, cover on, until crystals are dissolved. (doesn't take long) i have used the bucket heater on a five gallon pail partially filled with water for multiple jars i poured that developed some crystals. never again......it does work but what i found is not to pour any more honey i need from the bucket than necessary so jars of honey aren't sitting around for long periods of time and crystallizing in the jar.  if crystals exist....easier to put the bucket heater back on the pail to dissolve crystals or put the jars in a pan of hot water, which is what i usually do if need be......
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 12:38:27 pm »
Crystallized honey can be a headache---until you change your philosophy of using honey----Big crystals interlock and make for problems in using the honey.  Properly managed, you can get your honey to crystallize with tiny crystals and get what's called "creamed honey".
Creamed honey is firm but spreads nicely.  It doesn't drip nor does it spill.  Canadians are generally famiiiar with creamed honey.
In the US, I think it's pretty much an unknown product.
Consumers have to be taught that crystalllized honey is an indication of a superior product. 
Maybe someone wants to start a thread  about creamed honey?  Apis has had some excellent information on the topic in the past.

By the way, Baker, I think I counted way more than two questions.... :)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 07:52:53 pm »
Pete here's a mystery for you. For years i froze quarts with capped comb honey in them for chunk honey sales, then when a customer calls and wants a quart of chunk honey we thaw the comb out and add honey to it, worked great. Well the last few times we bottled more chunk honey than we sold, i froze it (in the deepfreezer)  comb and honey together in cases. Guess what? yep, about half of the quarts were crystallized solid in all 3 cases??? I can freeze comb honey by it's self and liquid honey by it's self with no problem, but not together? Jack

I guess it never really occurred to me before but found some online conversation about freezing comb honey before bottling for chunk honey.  I did a quick search here before posting a new topic.  I was glad to see your reply Jack.  I am taking my honey to the farmer's market Saturday and wanted to have a little chunk honey.  I would absolutely die of embarrassment if someone told me wax moth larvae hatched in their comb!  So, I took one frame of honey and placed it in the freezer this evening and then cut and bottle it tomorrow.  I am only giving it 24 hours.  Some say 36.  I am trusting 24 will do it. 

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »
The last time I had crystallized honey -not realizing it was a superior product Ef- I sat it on the sidewalk in the sun on a 100F day.  Within 30 minutes it was liquid again.
Lee_Burough

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 07:13:09 am »
Usually by now, we would already be at 100. I'm happy it's not there yet! Upper 80's this weekend!?! I love this weather.

Sorry, off topic.

Yep, heat up the honey.