Author Topic: Extractor finally..  (Read 18192 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Extractor finally..
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11:57 pm »
With that kind of weight behind it, it shouldn't walk itself across the floor too much if the loads a little unbalanced.  :goodjob:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 06:12:13 pm »
" i go out walkin after midnight, out in the moonlight, just like we used to do. i'm always walkin after midnight searchin for you"........

oops, sorry, wrong thread, thought we were talking about music....... :D :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 06:25:14 pm »
" i go out walkin after midnight, out in the moonlight, just like we used to do. i'm always walkin after midnight searchin for you"........

oops, wrong thread, thought we were talking about music....... :D :laugh:
That must be one unbalanced load B.  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 06:48:28 pm »

BLUSH    :-[    Was that supposed to be a PM? ???

:laugh:   LOL    :laugh:

Well, heres the Vid of the extractor running.. I'd edit it but havent fussed with the moviemaker yet so you get the uncut vrsion;

Daughter running the camera.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 06:54:19 pm »
Link didn't work for me?? :'(

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 07:01:57 pm »
that's cool lazy!

FH, did you click on lazy's photo, (guessing you did) and takes you to his photobucket video?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 07:04:01 pm »
that's cool lazy!

FH, did you click on lazy's photo, (guessing you did) and takes you to his photobucket video?

PHoto wasn't there when I was.  Just a link??  Not quite a complete one.  Not sure what happened.  Worked this time. 
Nice little toy there........

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »
A bit of Camcote and you are laughing my friend. If that thing could tell stories.
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 07:07:20 pm »
html Link didnt work so I swapped it for a direct link FH.. you had to be fast, was there less than 30 seconds!!  Dang your speedy!

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »
html Link didnt work so I swapped it for a direct link FH.. you had to be fast, was there less than 30 seconds!!  Dang your speedy!

Right place, wrong time.  It's all good now............................... 8)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 07:43:34 pm »
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 08:14:26 pm »
Very similar. the handle itself is cast Iron in a metal bracket.

Marbees.....
    On original body found a brass plate with serial No. 20, made in Brantford, Ontario.

I assume its a Markle Honey Extractor, made in Brantford Ontario  Inventor is  GEORGE W. MARKLE???

I can find patent information, some writing in different journals, but surprisingly few pictures.

*Sponsor*

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 05:40:14 pm »
LazyBkpr
The drive system is the same as mine. The extractor was built by the A. I. Root Company. The same guys that published the ABC XYZ of Bee Culture. If you have a copy look up the old extractors you will recognize some of the drives. It originally came with 4 metal plates that would drop in on the bottom supports  and with the mesh on the outside of the drum once the extracting was finished you would put the 4 plates in the bottom and use the extractor as an capping spinner, It works great.
I built my motor mount up over top of the clutch drive shaft so it didn't interfere with the lid and access to the drum. The break is Asbestos so avoid using it. Let it wind down by itself, it doesn't take that long. The leather disk when in use doesn't shed much, the leather disk can last 50+ years. run the extractor empty to condition the disk before you start extracting and blow or rinse the dust out.
Here is mine it is a 20 Frame

Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 05:59:25 pm »
Why does everything built way back then even look like it's tough! Nice picture K.
Forum Supporter

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:47 pm »
They are tough, because they were built with pride of their work and not the almighty dollar as things are made today.

Ken

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:18 pm »
Indeed. this extractor should completely outlast me and pssibly even my grandchildren, provided I ever have any grandchildren.

I have disassembled it and started cleaning a bit more..  I actually think I am going to be able to get the tank cleaned, but the basket is definitely going to have to be dipped or blasted etc.. New sealed bearings are already waiting. Need to get some silver and black paint for the outside of the tub and the braces for the drive system..  then it will be, as those cheeky Brits ay.. Brilliant!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:07 am »

The extractor is finally being worked on.. I cleaned the tub well, and found that Lacquer thinner does a really nice number on the residue. If a bit messy, its no worse than using paint stripper and scraping the paint off something..
   As I was wiping it down, I found, under the old oval logo, about a foot below it, another logo. Once wiped off, I can clearly read.. A.I.Root and part of Company..

So I have sanded the bejeesus out of the inside of the tank, and am not all thathappy with what remains..  the original paint is not easy to remove even with 80 grit sandpaper. with the exception of the high spots from past dents and dings, so the interior has a very mottled look to it..
   I took a piece of galvanized tin from some old furnace ducting, and sanded it down, then coated it with a layer of aluminum paint. I let that dry well, then coated it with three coats of CamCoat. When that dries I am going to see how well it stands up to scrubbing washing etc to see if it peels.   IF... it doesn't I will probably paint the tub by the same method so it LOOKS nice.. granted, once the basket is inside you cant really see much of the tub, but I still want it to look good if I am going to go through all of this to refurbish the old girl.  If the camcoat peels or flakes with some scrubbing and flexing then it will have to remain mottled on the inside.

*Sponsor*

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 11:23:42 am »
Lazy the weak bonding layer will be the layer of aluminum paint. I would go with an compatible epoxy primer.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 01:07:08 pm »
You think??   I went with this particular paint because they use it on galvanized feeders, tanks and grain bins, it is supposed to bond to the galvanized better than most other paints.. or were you talking about the bond between the camcoat and the paint??
 I havent gone up to check out the piece of tin I painted yet..   sanded well with 80 and 100 grit, then three layers of aluminum, then sanded with 220, wiped down with lacquer thinner and painted with the Camcoat..   I'll go up and abuse the piece of tin this weekend and see what happens..
   I still have to figure out how to get the lower bearing out of the housing. I tried a slide hammer and it didn't even wiggle, so I will probably have to cut the rivets that hold the housing in the tub so I can take it to the shop and heat up the housing to free the bearing..   wouldnt want to melt the lead seems in the tub or I would just leave it in place.

*Sponsor*

Offline Edward

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 02:02:49 pm »
Lazy the weak bonding layer will be the layer of aluminum paint. I would go with an compatible epoxy primer.

I don't Think aluminum and honey go together well because of the low ph level of honey.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.