Author Topic: Regular box or flat deck?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Regular box or flat deck?
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »
I've got my old 91 GMC 3/4 ton pick up that I've had for years, put some time and $$$ into her and she's been good to me.
I've also had a chance to work with a couple friends that use flat deck trucks for their bees, and I gotta say working off a flat deck is a lot easier.
I just noticed a 2000 1 ton dually with a reman. motor come up for sale, and I'm wondering would it make more sense? I don't put a lot of miles on a year, maybe 5,000 so not sure if gas would be that big a deal or not. Extra tires, but again not something I would wear out all that soon. Flat decks are like great big tables IMHO, no lifting over the sides of a box. I would lower the racks or make them removable altogether.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/dartmouth/2000-chevrolet-3500-1-ton-dually/1144645898
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Regular box or flat deck?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:08:28 pm »
Doesn't look like a bad deal. First check the weight load limit. How many strong hives would it take to overload it? Second, I would leave the headache rack, but remove the sheet metal. Letting the wind blow through will increase gas mileage and cool the hives.

Third, I would compare a trailer the same size.

Price,
years of use expected,
height,
load capacity,
ETC.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:48:41 pm »
I don't know that I would ever over load the thing given that I don't move hives into pollination anymore. It would sure make loading super full of honey easier though. I agree with you 100% on the headache rack, my first thought was to remove the solid part to conform with the back of the cab.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 09:27:48 pm »
Easier to stack supers on but the deck will be 6-8 inches higher than your truck tail gate.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:36:08 pm »
What Apis said.
   My truck is a K3500 with a steel flat bed..  yes, I love it, no you will never overload it with hives unless you can stack them 5 or 6 high. (Provided it has the 9 foot flatbed?)
   The height of the bed can be annoying when you need to reach something in the middle...  I made 3x6 treated boards to drop into the stake pockets to keep things from sliding off the sides.
   I have been looking for a small truck thats 4 wheel drive so it would be easier to get out into the outyards, easier to reach stuff etc...  Unfortunately, around here,  beat up rusted out toyotas that no longer run or drive have price tags over 2K..   Chevy S10's in worse condition still fetch over a grand..... Had to settle for a ford ranger thats rusted out badly, has a busted leaf and other minor problems, but it at least starts and runs wonderfully, the AC works, Heat works, Wipers work, AND, the 4 wheel drive works...   cost me 500 bucks....  going to rip the rotted out bed off and make a flat bed, put some digger tires on it and use it to run about checking/caring for hives.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 01:40:29 am »
My $.02 is that a flat bed is a specialty vehicle for hauling stuff that won't fit into anything else.  Most of us are better off with a regular truck.  Just spend a grand or two on a trailer and then you only have to lift your hives 18" off the ground.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 02:03:34 am »
Keep in mind that if you are transporting hives on rough roads. A trailer does not have the suspension system that a truck has. If you need to tackle mud to make it to the hives you will have better traction with the weight on the back tires than having to pull another set of wheels through the mud. Moving hives down the paved highway, a trailer will work well. Going off road with tight areas to turn around and rough roads and through mud abs snow II will take the flat deck You need to analyze your operation and what your needs and conditions are,
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 05:05:52 pm »
What Apis said.  I couldnt get a trailer to some of my Outyards at times in the spring and fall, but the truck will make it if it has to.
   Bed sides make loading quite a lot more difficult that it has to be. Theyhave the advantage of making sure stuff stays IN the bed, so long as you dont mind climbing in after it. I can pop the rail out of the stake pockets and load supers/boxes/hives/tools/etc from any angle but the front.
   Yes, a flat bed isnt for everyone or for every situation. If I had 100 paint cans to haul the flat bed would be a pain compared to tossing them in a standard bed, but for running hives I really like it.

*Sponsor*

Offline Zulu

Zulu's Bees

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 02:30:48 am »
Hey thats a pretty cool idea!

*Sponsor*