Author Topic: Any one ready for winter yet?  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Any one ready for winter yet?
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:27:35 am »
You betcha mon. Split a load of Ash fire wood Monday and when finished I realized I had did it all under water I was soaking wet from head to toe. I had to set my boots out in the sun to dry they were soaked from the inside out and with water proofing that water was not going to come out.
Yesterday Wednesday I was in the woods in the shade with a breeze working on a big old oak tree that blew down a while back in a wind storm. When I had it all cut up I again realized that I had did it under water again. Not a dry spot on my body nor clothing.

I made a woman mad the other day, I was buying a sub sandwich and a old friend walks in and we start talking about the stinking heat. Stupid woman had to stick her nose in and say we were crazy wanting snow. I told her that fools like her should have to work out side all day long with no AC or fan, Not be allowed to have AC in her car/truck or house. Only fools like temptures so *am hot it causes death to elderly people and others. Now get your nose out of Ronnie's & my conversation as we do not care fools. No I am not a nice person when you stick your nose in where it does not belong, after all we were trying to keep it down.
Can dress up for winter can only dress down so far in the heat.

;D  Al

your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Any one ready for winter yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:43:46 am »
Winter????  :o  I just got started with Summer Alley? I don't mind the heat, makes my bones feel better. Besides, I have 8 nucs of which 5 of them are just now getting going with queens. No! I'm not ready for winter... However, I'm particularly good at hibernating  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »
Looking ten days into my local forecast, the high is over 100 F everyday...the low in the 80's. 

The 'wet' you describe, is how we get  inspecting bees every day in Texas.  But, I feel your pain.  Living in Wyoming and Montana and Alaska, hibernation is real for a few months of the year.  We just hibernate in summer here in Texas.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 04:41:38 am »
I've heard that I love summer crap for years and every one has AC in the house in the car and at work. bet most would not be suck lovers with out AC.

Also heard that drivel crap cabin fever. Who has time for that with hunting, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snow shoeing and did I mention hunting. Winter coyote fur is prime mostly and worth money when sold.

;D  Al

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 08:55:28 am »
Alley, your description of feet sloshing in the wet boots insides reminded me of the days when I too used them.  I gave them up after the sloshing around in them became so bad that my feet would slip around anad I couldn't walk in them (and nobody with a functioning nose could come near me while working the hives or afterwards).

Today, I wear regular shoes or, better yet, sandals, while working the hives in the summer.  It's been a long time since I've received any stings to my feet or legs from bees that went to them.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:37:00 am »
I prefer the summer, and yes, I have AC in my home and vehicle. On the same note, even though Alley likes winter, I would think it's a safe bet that he has heat in his home and vehicles. No one wants extreme heat or cold 24/7.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 09:17:41 am »
Yes I do have heat in the house and in the truck which I can regulate. I also spend many a hour out side all winter long. I can dress up for the cold can't legally dress down for the heat.
There fore I can work out side in the winter but when we are in the high 8-0F with 80% plus humidity I can't.

;D  Al

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:21:50 am »
Hopefully we will have more than a couple of hours of below freezing temps this year to help knock down the mosquito population.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:37:33 am »
Just one of many beautiful NOT summer days I have seen on my weather station.

;D  Al

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 02:37:12 pm »
Wow, that heat index is through the roof! :o
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 04:38:59 pm »

Now wait... EEEEasy there big fella!!!    ;D

I like summer as well...  mid 90's just means I have to take an extra drink water break now and again..    JUST walked in the house SOAKING wet, quite literally dripped on the flloor on the way in here to sit down with a TALL glass of water... with ice...
   Just finished moving 12 nucs into their pallets, and it is HOT... but danged if I don't prefer that over having my nostrils STUCK together when I poke my head out the door to go do chores and fill the wood stove...  40 mph winds when it is 20 below 0 (F) is BLOODY COLD and miserable..   At those temps you have to dress up a LOT, and it makes working difficult...
   I do not usually run the AC in my trucks or tractors, because it makes getting back out again hard. I DO run AC in the house.. it is set at 80 Degrees.. feels like walking into a refrigerator when coming in from the outside, but its not so cold that I have difficulty adjusting to the heat when I go back out...
   The wife on the other hand....  she has to have the bedroom set at 30 below 0, 410 days a year....    I think its because she likes it when I sleep on the couch???    I HAVE had to scoop SNOW off the bedroom floor when she got "HOT" and opened a window... More than once.....
    I have ONE row of wood in my wood shed... need seven rows to make the winter, so a lot of cutting yet to do.....   Have not had TIME to cut wood yet....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 05:29:56 pm »
I have one thing to say about that........................................ :laugh:

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 08:50:56 pm »
BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 09:38:10 pm »
My wife asked me to turn the AC up a couple degrees today. Said she was cold.
So I turned it up from 80 to 82. I don't think she's ready for winter yet.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 05:33:09 am »
New heat wave starts again today with a forecast of 88F. Will have to remember to get a picture of the weather station monitor every day till the next cool spell comes.

How I long for days of 20F, medium weight long johns, blue jeans, flannel shirt, sweat shirt  and carhart type coat. and a brog.

Blow a little bit of snow at 30 below wind chill.Come in th ehouse after I finish and be soaking wet. Over dressed.
Also makes for the best coyote hides.

Al

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 05:43:11 am »

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Some Day

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 11:30:27 am »
I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 10 years.  In that time span we had exactly two winter storm warnings.  The first one was to not stay in the swimming pool for over 30 minutes and the second one said to wear socks with your sandals.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 06:55:33 pm »
I have one thing to say about that........................................ :laugh:

Perry, that was just unnecessary posting pictures like that.  Now we have to have Mrs. River spank you... err, never mind, that grin was enough, don't want to see a bigger one....

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 10 years.  In that time span we had exactly two winter storm warnings.  The first one was to not stay in the swimming pool for over 30 minutes and the second one said to wear socks with your sandals.

LOL
   My father says when it hits 40 in the Florida Keys people walk around wearing parkas and gloves...  he also says you can tell the snowbirds, because they HAVE parkas and gloves...........
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 04:44:04 pm »
No way, 85 degrees here with 85% humidity. 
Jen I am already hibernating!

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 06:01:17 am »
94F with a heat index of 145F here yesterday :o :\'(. I got a picture of the weather stations read out too so I can prove it.

I'll take this any day all day long.

;D  Al