Author Topic: Walt Wright Articles  (Read 24541 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: CBT

Offline tecumseh

Re: Walt Wright Articles
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:44:41 pm »
you are hurting me here Iddee!  :'(

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:01:38 pm »
In what way? I thought you had read them at least twice.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 05:51:17 am »
I have likely read my old copy of abc/xyz about half a dozen times from cover to cover... but then again there is some really worth while information in that book.  8)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 11:34:44 pm »
I remember the checker boarding war on another forum a few years back with Walt Wright. >:( I think the both of you were on that forum at the time?? Jack

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:55:46 am »
yea Jack but I am the one who got tossed in the process for simply asking question Walt didn't want to consider or answer.  some places and folks simply have 'the feel' of a cult.... whereby all the followers bow down to some idol. 

truthfully I didn't pay much attention to 'uncle walt' (now ain't that a precious name) checkerboarding non sense until he started making claims for it being a cure for CCD (which at the time no one knew what that even was... I guess still do not).

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 10:01:50 am »
I don't think he is the father of checkerboarding,Beeks have been moving frames around for one reason or another for a very long time, my self for one, before i ever heard of Walt Wright ??? He has some good points, but when you think you have the bees figured out, they will make fool out of you. :o And i should know. ;D Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:58:09 pm »
He has some good points, but when you think you have the bees figured out, they will make fool out of you. :o And i should know. ;D Jack

isnt that the truth?  Like being married or hunting a hound in competition hunts..
  Bag your dog up all night, and he brings a possum and lays it on your feet while the judge watches.......... :'(
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:29:57 pm »
Bees are just like horses or hunting dogs. They'll make a liar out of you.

Offline minz

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:51:40 pm »
I think we are about the same here as Walt for elevation, mountains and 8b growing. I tried some Checker boarding. Matter of fact still have that experiment running.  I mention it because the big theory is that the queen prefers the deep over the shallows and will pretty much stay down there. Well I cannot convince her of that! I have started to push her down with an excluder. I have 8 frames of empty deep, 2 full shallows of brood, and one super that they will not draw (went with a shallow to ‘bait’ them up.  Oh and the hive swarmed last year the exact same  time as the other one I had in a different yard.  It seems that I run out of deep hive bodies before shallows so I just leave that experiment. Since all the brood is in shallows I cannot even break her down and feed my nucs (so again it sits there and does not perform).
It is way better to work than this Demaree method I am working this year. Crap that is some lifting!

Offline tefer2

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 11:15:48 am »
I came across a video his daughter made for him explaining the process.
I have never tried his method, so I can't comment how well it works.

Here's another on the pollen box maneuver.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 01:34:20 pm »
Guess i'm a little thick ???, bees store pollen below and in  the brood nest, why would i want to draw the queen up to lay in the honey supers?? That's the problem i try to avoid now, when the queen lays in the top supers (in my area) they think they are crowded and build queen cells (but not always) and i sure don't want her laying in my honey supers. :no: I must be missing something here??? Jack

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 06:42:10 pm »
 I am with you brooksbeefarm, I know I will not be doing that for I don't want  the queen laying eggs up there, now if he is doing it to just raise bees ok.

Ken

Offline LogicalBee

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:41:36 pm »
Gee, it all seems so clear now after watching those videos.  ;D

Reminds of a quote from the first president of Israel after a long Atlantic cruise with Albert Einstein in 1921.  Chaim Weizmann said, “Einstein explained his theory to me every day, and on my arrival I was fully convinced that HE understood it." :D

From reading numerous posts over the years my guess is the key idea behind “checker boarding” is that gaps in a bee hive (bee it brood in the spring, or honey in the summer) tends to keep the bees busy filling those gaps before they start back filling the brood chamber and swarming.  Is that the basic premise of this idea?