Author Topic: buying a farm  (Read 10910 times)

Offline DLMKA

Re: buying a farm
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 12:49:17 pm »
There is no better feeling than being independent and self sustaining. IMHO. I have worked on the farm most of my life, but found it necessary to find a job off the farm in order to keep the farm. As you know farming is a
 24/7 job and unless you have a good water supply for livestock and crops, you are totally dependent on the weather, and the livestock and crops are totally dependent on you :o. There have been years where i made a good profit, and years where i thought i would but, disease, insects, wild animals, equipment break downs, and sudden change in the weather had other ideas. Farming isn't like it use to be, everything is high tech and expensive anymore and can't be fixed with baling wire. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing something that you have dreamed and love to do, because the only way they will get me off the farm is when they carry me to that small lot over the hill by the church. I never thought i would live to see the land i bought for $700.00 an acre (63 acres) would sell for $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 an acre, or a 600 lb. steer bring $1,200.00 at the yards? ??? Watching are children grow up on the farm and teaching them how to be self relying means more to my wife and i than than anything else.Sorry just an old farmers rant, Hope your dream comes true and Good Luck. Jack

You nailed it Jack! I was laid off for nearly a year in 09-10 and I had time to garden and do things for myself. Even with less than half the income as before on unemployment we were better off financially because we weren't buying near as much food and the cars barely left the driveway saving us on gas and wear and tear on vehicles. The thing with this place is you can be nearly self sufficient for everyday things and just need money to make sure bills are paid. I have no problem taking a part time job to make ends meet or helping with harvest or planting with folks around.  Organic pigs are going for $4.50/lb on the rail and they can't meet the demand. Waiting list for whole/half/quarter(beef only) beef and pork is 5 months long.

Offline denise1952

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 01:31:01 pm »
good luck DLMKA looks a great farm wish I could afford it but its a bit too far to travel just now  good luck hope you get it

Offline DLMKA

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »
good luck DLMKA looks a great farm wish I could afford it but its a bit too far to travel just now  good luck hope you get it

You're welcome to come visit any time :)

First steps were taken today, went and talked to the local farm credit office to get some direction on what we need to proceed.

Offline Marbees

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 05:56:41 pm »
After reading post # 17 I know, you are the right man for the job. :)
At 32 you have experience, and still young enough to make your dreams come through.
If I were a gambler I would bet on you. :) Best of luck.
Bee Remarkable