Author Topic: Any soap makers?  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Any soap makers?
« on: October 18, 2021, 10:42:03 am »
Does anyone have any tried and true soap recipes to share?  I have made two batches of a hot processed soap that was demonstrated at a club meeting.  I think both will be great. The first was scented apple and the second crisp mountain air.  I have another recipe I am going to try from the book Beehive Alchemy by Petra Ahnert.
Any recommendations for good recipes and online businesses to buy fragrance oils and ingredients?

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Any soap makers?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 01:20:20 pm »
My sister recently got really into soapmaking, since we have enough surplus goat's milk to experiment with now.  She's made 4 different soaps so far, some of which are great and some of which need a little more work.  ;)  She likes Brambleberry, Wholesale Supply Plus, and Nurture Soap for additives (fragrances, colorants, etc.).  As far as ingredients like different oils and butters she found Amazon, Etsy, and the local grocery store to be cheaper than the specialty companies.  As far as additional resources, she is a member of Soapmaking Forum (that is its actual name :D), and she loves the YouTube channels Royalty Soaps and Elly's Everyday Soapmaking, both have great tutorials and free recipes that are well-tested. 

I took a look at Beehive Alchemy, since I had never heard of it, and that looks like a great book!  I'm seriously considering buying it.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 06:01:16 pm »
Go to
https://www.homesteadingtoday.com
There are many posters ready to help under the soap making forum, but
 MullersLaneFarm is exceptional.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen, Gypsi

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 12:02:28 pm »
Go to
https://www.homesteadingtoday.com
There are many posters ready to help under the soap making forum, but
 MullersLaneFarm is exceptional.

Thanks, iddee.  I think that's a rabbit hole!   :D

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 05:27:38 pm »
What does that mean?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 08:52:40 am »
What does that mean?
That means, to me, that one click leads to another and another.  Lots to read and learn with no end in sight.  That hole is deep!   :D

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 01:03:55 pm »
That's true. A great forum for a lot of country things.
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Gypsi

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 09:39:58 pm »
I have made cold process goat's milk soap, and some glycerin soaps, but I haven't found any recipes that used beeswax. 

And I'm not happy with my soap.  I think I need to check the pH, especially of the goats milk soap, and compare it to Kirk's Hardwater Castile (which is coconut oil and doesn't bother my skin at all).  Haven't figured out how to test the pH on bar soap. I think I need help

Other people liked my goats milk soap, once it had done its 6 month cure time. But I have issues with Ivory, so.  me again.  Somewhere around here I have my recipe. Only scent I had was peppermint, after it cured it's a very faint scent
'
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 12:11:57 am »
I have made cold process goat's milk soap, and some glycerin soaps, but I haven't found any recipes that used beeswax. 

And I'm not happy with my soap.  I think I need to check the pH, especially of the goats milk soap, and compare it to Kirk's Hardwater Castile (which is coconut oil and doesn't bother my skin at all).  Haven't figured out how to test the pH on bar soap. I think I need help

Other people liked my goats milk soap, once it had done its 6 month cure time. But I have issues with Ivory, so.  me again.  Somewhere around here I have my recipe. Only scent I had was peppermint, after it cured it's a very faint scent
'
I read my sister your post because she happened to be sitting nearby, and she says that you can easily test the pH with universal pH paper or litmus paper.  She also said that the pH probably isn't the issue unless the soap is REALLY harsh.  If the pH is within safe limits, the pH doesn't have much to do with the properties of the soap.  She also said that these are good questions for a soapmaking community and would encourage you to join Soapmaking Forum because they would love to help you!  ;D   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Gypsi

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 10:17:26 am »
When I get time to make soap again, I will check that forum. For right now I picked up some Kirk's hardwater castile.   Even the premade, just heat, add scent and pour in molds glycerin soaps dry my skin. Kirk's doesn't.  I did pick up the book Bakers Dozen suggested, but I won't have any time to do anything with it for a while.  Got the winter garden and wildflowers to plant today, I turned the soil and soaked last night, we are in drought. Have to go thru hives, 2 kids here, and we're sewing later
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second