Author Topic: What's Cookin'  (Read 46287 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: What's Cookin'
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2022, 01:49:50 pm »
What is ACV?
Apple cider vinegar.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2022, 09:07:25 pm »
So, let’s say that NC has several varieties depending on location. I’m a fan of East Carolina or Eastern BBQ sauce, and Lexington. I have, what I call good recipes, but I guarantee you will not like them. The Eastern sauce is mostly apple cider vinegar with a squirt of ketchup, red pepper flake, ground while pepper, and probably something else. ( I’d have to look for it. ) If you had a spoon full and dumped it out, it would run out and the spoon would be dry. Essentially, the Lexington is the same add some more ketchup and sugar. It’s a little thicker and has more red color. It would still run out of the spoon, but leave a thin coating on the spoon. Both are definitely vinegar flavored, but the Lexington is not as sharp.

Then there are the weirdos in the mountains. They make a sauce closer to a St Louis or Memphis sauce, aptly called Western Carolina BBQ Sauce. Western Carolina is going to be a heavy tomato base with probably brown sugar, some pepper and spices. You have to shake it out of a spoon, and even involve your finger if you want to get it all off the spoon.

Even within these regions, there are variances, and some are just a disgrace to the name.

Eastern and Lexington are the ones most popular in NC. But they are an acquired taste if you are accustomed to thick heavy sweet sauces.

May I suggest taking your favorite sauce (Sweet Baby Rays or what have you) and cutting it Lexington to start with. You can start out slow and add more Lexington Sauce until you reach your threshold, and then knock it back a bit with a little more Sweet Baby Rays if you went too far.

Dukes Carolina Vinegar or Heinz Carolina Vinegar are both pretty thick, and sweet enough my kids will eat them. You may start them as your base and slowly add your go to sauce since they are not as thin or vinegary as is traditional East Carolina or Lexington sauces. FWIW I take either of these and add vinegar to thin them out if I’m not making sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 10:32:57 pm by .30WCF »

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2022, 12:06:26 pm »
Weirdo mountain sauce, that is what I need!  Or perhaps the Lexington, I'm not sure exactly what we had the other day.  It was both tomato-y and vinegar-y.  Weaning onto the new sauce isn't a bad idea, but honestly, we loved what we had with the local stuff, and wouldn't need to wean onto it.  I'll give the store bought brands a look.  Thanks so much, this is exactly the expert opinion I was looking for!  8)
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2022, 02:46:58 pm »
15th, I laughed at the weirdo's in the mountains :D It would make the best label for bbq sauce ...

Weirdo Mountain BBQ Sauce 

Speaking of sauces, I know a gal who has a friend, Kevin. There is no hot sauce out there the is too hot for Kevin. She's working on a hot sauce that would be soo hot that it would probably kill Kevin...

Kill Kevin Sauce
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2022, 06:34:55 pm »
15th, I laughed at the weirdo's in the mountains :D It would make the best label for bbq sauce ...

Weirdo Mountain BBQ Sauce 

Speaking of sauces, I know a gal who has a friend, Kevin. There is no hot sauce out there the is too hot for Kevin. She's working on a hot sauce that would be soo hot that it would probably kill Kevin...

Kill Kevin Sauce
:D  We're not that into super spicy food in my family, but I do like a mild hot sauce once and a while.  :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2022, 12:12:48 pm »
Us either, can't handle any hot, spicy is different  :)

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2022, 10:44:19 pm »
I made some ghost pretzels today for our Halloween party.  I got a little carried away with the eyes on some of them!  :D

Mom made pumpkin pancakes for supper.  She got a little carried away making faces on people's plates!  :D

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2022, 08:17:16 pm »
I posted this picture on my fermenting thread too, but I thought I'd duplicate it here.  Tonight we had kielbasa, au gratin potatoes, noodles, green beans, and our first taste of my homemade kraut.  We also carved pumpkins today, so we've been snacking on pumpkin seeds all afternoon.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2022, 09:00:43 pm »
For Halloween my mom and sister made ghost shepherds pie, pumpkin-shaped dinner rolls, and pickled beets. 

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2022, 02:01:18 pm »
Do any of you make sweet potatoes in the oven like baked potatoes?  I swear I've seen someone post a picture of that, I'm guessing it was @.30WCF . My mom is wanting to try it, and she's wondering how long people bake them, whether to foil wrap them or not, etc. 

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2022, 10:11:04 pm »
Do any of you make sweet potatoes in the oven like baked potatoes?  I swear I've seen someone post a picture of that, I'm guessing it was @.30WCF . My mom is wanting to try it, and she's wondering how long people bake them, whether to foil wrap them or not, etc.
I do. Sometimes they get foil, sometimes they don’t. They tend to cook faster than a white potato. I don’t really have a time. I just bake them until tender. Maybe 1hr at 400, but I never really paid too much attention.
It’s about 10 minutes in a microwave with no foil till it’s tender to squeeze. They also dry out quicker than a white potato.
Butter, sugar and cinnamon for toppling.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2022, 09:10:41 pm »
Mom gave the baked sweet potatoes a try tonight, and they were DELICIOUS!  Most of us just put butter and salt on them, and they were so good that we are ashamed we've never eaten sweet potatoes like this before.  We also had honey baked chicken, some frozen rolls, and country green beans, which are absent from my plate because I don't like vegetables that have been cooked to death.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2022, 10:02:10 pm »
A little Dutch oven action at elk camp

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2022, 10:11:12 pm »

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Molasses Crumb Pie
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2022, 08:15:47 am »
My grandmother’s recipe for Molasses Crumb Pie. It takes about 45-50 minutes in my oven. If the pie is moist and gummy in the middle it’s right, if it’s cake like, you baked it too long.

Have you ever substituted cold butter for the shortening in the crumb topping?  I think it would have a better flavor.  Sounds interesting. 

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2022, 02:22:16 pm »
My grandmother’s recipe for Molasses Crumb Pie. It takes about 45-50 minutes in my oven. If the pie is moist and gummy in the middle it’s right, if it’s cake like, you baked it too long.

Have you ever substituted cold butter for the shortening in the crumb topping?  I think it would have a better flavor.  Sounds interesting.
I never have

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2022, 08:38:01 pm »
This month’s Southern Living cover was Apple-Cranberry Pie with Pecan Shortbread Crust. I filled the center and topped it with candied pecans.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2022, 01:03:06 pm »
Digging out my eating pants for tomorrow.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2022, 01:35:41 pm »
My mom always cooks our turkey on Wednesday, so that's just come out of the oven. 

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2022, 02:09:54 pm »
15th, that turkey is pretty darned perfect. Do you do anything with the carcass?
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember