Author Topic: What's Cookin'  (Read 44999 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: What's Cookin'
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2022, 02:34:02 pm »
15th, that turkey is pretty darned perfect. Do you do anything with the carcass?

Actually yes, for the first time this year we are going to make bone broth from it. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2022, 06:12:06 am »
Yesterday I had sourdough rising under the wood stove, but baked it in the oven. Then made sweet potato, pumpkin, and molasses crumb pies. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2022, 12:57:46 pm »
Yeeeeah! Just give me that loaf bread and a cube of butter, sit me in a corner and leave me alone  :laugh:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2022, 06:19:32 pm »
My grandmother’s recipe for Molasses Crumb Pie. It takes about 45-50 minutes in my oven. If the pie is moist and gummy in the middle it’s right, if it’s cake like, you baked it too long.

If you did use something other that what the recipe calls for, then it wouldn't taste the same.   :yes:  I wouldn't change a thing either.

Have you ever substituted cold butter for the shortening in the crumb topping?  I think it would have a better flavor.  Sounds interesting.
I never have

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2022, 07:24:36 pm »
My grandmother’s recipe for Molasses Crumb Pie. It takes about 45-50 minutes in my oven. If the pie is moist and gummy in the middle it’s right, if it’s cake like, you baked it too long.

If you did use something other that what the recipe calls for, then it wouldn't taste the same.   :yes:  I wouldn't change a thing either.

Have you ever substituted cold butter for the shortening in the crumb topping?  I think it would have a better flavor.  Sounds interesting.
I never have

I’ve only ever messed with the pie crusts. I’ve gone to straight butter for crusts. They get crispy and flakey without much fuss.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 07:24:57 pm by .30WCF »

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2022, 10:58:20 am »
I always make my Mother's pie crust.  It uses lard, vinegar, egg, etc.  It's not for the weak of heart, but it is fantastic.  My Mom ALWAYS had a batch of pie dough in the fridge because you never know when you will need  it.   :)

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2022, 12:42:14 pm »
Here was our Thanksgiving spread.  I didn't have time to post it yesterday since I was too busy shopping.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2022, 07:15:46 pm »
I was told we needed another sweet potato pie.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2022, 05:41:51 pm »
We had chevon (goat meat) vegetable soup last night, made with bone broth from our goat bones, and rye bread on the side.  It was very good, but next time Mom's going to roast the bones before she makes them into broth, so the broth has just a little more flavor.

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2022, 08:04:18 pm »
I never could do vegetable soup. There were a few things from childhood hard a hard time or I never could get past. One was potato soup, which I now love. Mom’s recipe, however, had sliced boiled eggs, water, milk, celery and potatoes. The milk would curdle in the hot water and separate. I was probably 30 before I realized I like potato soup.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 08:18:10 pm by .30WCF »

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2022, 08:51:12 pm »
Why come do microwave burritos have detections for one burrito, two burritos, but no instructions if you want three burritos?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2022, 12:04:11 pm »
I never could do vegetable soup. There were a few things from childhood hard a hard time or I never could get past. One was potato soup, which I now love. Mom’s recipe, however, had sliced boiled eggs, water, milk, celery and potatoes. The milk would curdle in the hot water and separate. I was probably 30 before I realized I like potato soup.

I was in my 40's before I could eat gravy.  I get it.  It wasn't because Mom couldn't make gravy.  I made the mistake of asking how it was made and that did it for me.  But to this day I won't eat biscuits and gravy.  It's more than just a texture thing.

Your Mom's recipe for potato soup sounds very unique.  My Mom's potato soup was thin, but good.  When I cooked at the children's home I perfected my potato soup skills.  I cooked for 100.  I added chicken base to the cooking water, chopped celery and onion are added, thicken the broth and milk with a roux, and finish with some grated carrot and parsley for color.  It's been a while so I don't remember all the seasonings.

15th, roasting the bones should make a big difference in flavor.   All this talk is making me hungry for vegetable beef soup.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2022, 07:12:44 pm »
Here are our Christmas cookies!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2022, 08:40:23 am »
 :goodjob:  That looks like a lot of fun!

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #174 on: December 25, 2022, 12:06:05 pm »
Here is our Christmas edition of "What's Cookin'".  We had a ham, pineapple casserole, broccoli casserole, mashed potato casserole, and marinated carrots.  For the first time this year the carrots were homegrown, since we finally grew enough to actually do something with, and we used my honey in the recipe instead of sugar.  I made the oreo truffles and my sister make the chocolate cookie bark, and I of course made the candles.

The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2023, 12:08:33 pm »
We had a batch of goat burgers from this year's wether last night, along with onion rings and a new Mediterranean bean salad which was delicious!  Speaking of goats, we are on baby watch for one of our does starting on Saturday. 

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2023, 10:24:38 am »
Last week my mom made a big batch of bone broth, which she then made into southwest chicken soup.  She also got a cast iron cornbread mold for Christmas and tried out making cornbread like that for the first time.  Both were delicious, and the leftovers were perfect for having a very late supper last night after the new goat kids were born.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2023, 08:56:52 pm »
Corn bread corn mold.
I’ve seen them. Did it dry out. Seems you would need to adjust cooking times due to smaller volume.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2023, 05:21:04 pm »
A few nights ago we had goat roast, mashed potatoes, corn, and cole slaw.  When we ate the leftovers the next night, Mom turned the mashed potatoes into potato pancakes.  I had the chevon (goat meat) in a sandwich for lunch, and it was phenomenal.  It's just as good if not better than beef. 

Slice of blueberry pie, anyone?  My mom and sister made it from scratch with last year's blueberries from just down the street. 

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2023, 05:11:59 pm »
Last night we had breakfast sandwich bar, with a side of hash patties and Jello Magic Mousse (Jello with Cool Whip mixed into it.  I also add extra Cool Whip).