Author Topic: Shopping Local  (Read 2875 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Shopping Local
« on: September 08, 2022, 01:53:24 pm »
We went to a local orchard today and got a bunch of local produce.  We got 1 peck of Honey Crisp apples, 1 dozen ears of corn, a quart of blackberries, some apple butter, and nestled amongst the local honey we found some sorghum!  We've been looking for some to try, since it's a southern mountain classic.  Does anyone here have experience with sorghum?   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Shopping Local
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 02:25:21 pm »
I grew up eating molasses and butter, mixed and spread on hot biscuits. I don't know if all molasses was sorghum or not, but I remember much of it was.

:o  Three moles going along a tunnel. The first says, "I smell honey." The second one says "I smell jelly." The third one says, "I smell molasses."  :cry: :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 07:47:36 am »
I grew up on sorghum and molasses too.  My dad was the big fan of sorghum, honey, and molasses on biscuits.  Sorghum contains antioxidants and fiber, so it's a healthy food choice.  As I recall, sorghum is a lot thicker and richer than molasses.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 11:24:00 am »
Let the experimentation commence! 8)

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 05:33:29 pm »

Well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 06:06:01 pm »

Well?

It was good.  The thing we are all struggling with is that while it's fine on the biscuits, we all like something else better, honey, jelly, just plain butter.  What we are really wanting to try now is baking with it in something, like cookies or a cake.  To me at least, it's the kind of thing that could compliment other flavors really well and very uniquely, but to my palate, I prefer something a little purely sweeter straight up on a biscuit.  We all nailed the apple butter by comparison, except my dad, who still only wants his usual jelly.   

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 08:15:55 pm »

Well?

It was good.  The thing we are all struggling with is that while it's fine on the biscuits, we all like something else better, honey, jelly, just plain butter.  What we are really wanting to try now is baking with it in something, like cookies or a cake.  To me at least, it's the kind of thing that could compliment other flavors really well and very uniquely, but to my palate, I prefer something a little purely sweeter straight up on a biscuit.  We all nailed the apple butter by comparison, except my dad, who still only wants his usual jelly.
You don’t have to eat it just because of nostalgia. There is a thing I know about being hungry, most things are good when you are hungry, and you may actually acquire a taste for some of those things, reminisce about them, and continue to seek them out.
Sorghum is out of fashion for some reason or another. Maybe it was never really that good, but the most affordable or available option.
If you are trying to perfect a souther Appalachian tradition, you may be chasing an economical alternative to a product that’s more readily available and produced in the north.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 10:35:55 pm »
You don’t have to eat it just because of nostalgia. There is a thing I know about being hungry, most things are good when you are hungry, and you may actually acquire a taste for some of those things, reminisce about them, and continue to seek them out.
Sorghum is out of fashion for some reason or another. Maybe it was never really that good, but the most affordable or available option.
If you are trying to perfect a souther Appalachian tradition, you may be chasing an economical alternative to a product that’s more readily available and produced in the north.

That's absolutely what it is.  According to my research, the popularity of sorghum goes back to the Civil War, when the Union blockade of the South prevented most people from getting cane sugar.  We didn't seek it out because of obligation to tradition, but more out of curiosity and interest in our local culture.  If it's something we find we don't like much or don't use much, then we simply won't get more.  But we really love the mountain culture, even though my family wasn't born into it, and we like to learn as much about it and from it as we can.                 

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 06:54:47 am »

That's absolutely what it is.  According to my research, the popularity of sorghum goes back to the Civil War, when the Union blockade of the South prevented most people from getting cane sugar.  We didn't seek it out because of obligation to tradition, but more out of curiosity and interest in our local culture.  If it's something we find we don't like much or don't use much, then we simply won't get more.  But we really love the mountain culture, even though my family wasn't born into it, and we like to learn as much about it and from it as we can.                 
When you get good at shine, let me know.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 10:54:53 am »
When you get good at shine, let me know.
:laugh: