Author Topic: Am I Being Silly?  (Read 5942 times)

Offline .30WCF

Am I Being Silly?
« on: October 02, 2022, 05:30:50 pm »
I have an 1100sqf house in central NC. I have been running a England or Summers Heat, or whatever brand and you want to call it, in 2000sqf flavor stove for about 5 years. I got the 2k size cause it was a deal at the time, and I thought I’d rather have overkill than underkill. Now, I only ever run 2 splits and a time. If I burn 3 splits, you can’t stand it, and I get a little worried if I see 650-700 on the stovetop since the book says 600, if I recall correctly. That’s probably just my naive self, trying to follow the rules and all, but about 400 at the stove top is about right for the space as well.

I’ve been looking for about a year at other options. I’m was all about a nice enamel stove for a while, a soapstone, or something nice, but I don’t think I want to spend $3k till I know what fits.

My stove is also too big for the room aesthetically.

B05C698B-EFB2-4FCB-88B0-1B70364BC547.jpeg

So I’m thinking of trying out a smaller stove, but it looks like, in general, at 1100sqf, I’m either maxing out a stove, or right back where I am.

So do I keep slow rolling what I have, or go with an Drolet Fox2 https://www.drolet.ca/us/en/wood-stoves/db03186/ or US Stove Defender https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...defender-wood-burning-stove-on-legs-us1100e-l ? These meet my clearances without either building something or putting it further out into the living room of an already small room by using some 45* bends in the pipe.

I like the stepped stovetop and legs better on the Defender better. I like the fox on the door of the Fox, and its North American manufacturing gives me a fuzzier feeling.

The US is an E/W loader, and the Fox is a N/S loader. This means that the US is going to appear a little more inline with the wall than the Drolet, even though based off flue location, they will both extend into the room roughly the same.

Seems like for the size of them, the N/S loading will be better than trying to stuff a small box E/W, and potentially spilling against the glass as it burns down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Am I Being Silly?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 07:02:36 pm »
Sounds like you need to fix your draft and keep what you have. With the draft fully closed, the fire should go out, even with 3 or 4 sticks.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 07:47:33 pm »
I’m familiar with how stoves used to run, but the newer stuff is EPA this and that. I suppose I could add a damper, but I’m not supposed to install it or need it. Newer stuff has very little air adjustment and no way to really shut them down.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 07:53:31 pm »
Pulled the trigger on a Vermont Castings Aspen C3. So far, so good. I’m still trying to learn it’s temperament, but I can feed it at bed time and relight off coals in the morning.
It also seems to fit the space a lot better than the old behemoth if anybody needs a used stove.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 08:01:21 pm »
Also got around to dragging out the old dynamite box out of the building for kindling. Been meaning to do that for a while.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 01:29:44 pm »
That new stove looks great, 30!  We have two Vermont Castings fireplace inserts, and we LOVE them.  Does yours have a catalytic converter?  And that dynamite box is super cool!  How old is it?

Some other random comments I have from snooping around your house in the photos.
1. I love that scalloped edge on your wall.  That's really interesting.  I like how you can see the books in the built-in shelves peeking around the corner.
2. I love that big clock on your wall above the sewing table.  Does it chime? 
3. What is that wooden thing hanging on the wall opposite the built-in with the scalloped edge?
4. As the president and currently sole member of the Society for the Humane Treatment of Books and Other Published Materials, I would highly recommend a bookend for the shelf to the left of the stove.  ;) :yes:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 06:21:02 pm »
That new stove looks great, 30!  We have two Vermont Castings fireplace inserts, and we LOVE them.  Does yours have a catalytic converter?  And that dynamite box is super cool!  How old is it?

Some other random comments I have from snooping around your house in the photos.
1. I love that scalloped edge on your wall.  That's really interesting.  I like how you can see the books in the built-in shelves peeking around the corner.
2. I love that big clock on your wall above the sewing table.  Does it chime? 
3. What is that wooden thing hanging on the wall opposite the built-in with the scalloped edge?
4. As the president and currently sole member of the Society for the Humane Treatment of Books and Other Published Materials, I would highly recommend a bookend for the shelf to the left of the stove.  ;) :yes:
The dynamite box came out of my wife?s Great Grandfather?s barn. I can?t give an exact age on it, but he bought some land around 100 years ago and cleared his own fields. I imagine that?s what happened to a stubborn stump. There were 5-6 of them in the barn, but only this one was salvageable. 

1. Thanks.
2. Every 1/4 hr.
3. A drying rack. (Snow day last year)

4. Those are books are kindling and fire starters. Jk. I plan on moving them and probably put some sand in some old tins for smothering a fire, and stove gloves and such on those shelves. I?ve got three fire extinguishers about, but I think if I just needed to calm down an over-fire, I would try to smother it some first before blasting chemicals everywhere.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 08:34:13 pm »

That is so cool!  I've never seen anything like that!  Is it an antique thing or something modern?

4. Those are books are kindling and fire starters. Jk.

:laugh: Hahaha!  I completely fell for this.  A jolt of real fear shot through me, and I actually had to read the sentence twice before I saw the "just kidding".  :D

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 08:20:57 am »

:laugh:
My husband wants to join your society!  I am not allowed to touch his books unless I want to read one.
I, on the other hand, had to purge my years and years accumulation of Bee Culture and ABJ magazines yesterday.   :sad:  When you have no place for something you have to make a decision.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 10:36:57 am »

My husband wants to join your society!  I am not allowed to touch his books unless I want to read one.
:D He's more than welcome!  Membership is free and lifelong!  And with another member I can reestablish democracy and not vote myself president every year.  ;) ;D

I, on the other hand, had to purge my years and years accumulation of Bee Culture and ABJ magazines yesterday.   :sad:  When you have no place for something you have to make a decision.

That's sad.  I hope "purge" doesn't mean "throw out".  :o  If you still have them, I'd seriously be willing to take them off your hands. 

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 11:23:05 am »

That is so cool!  I've never seen anything like that!  Is it an antique thing or something modern?

4. Those are books are kindling and fire starters. Jk.

:laugh: Hahaha!  I completely fell for this.  A jolt of real fear shot through me, and I actually had to read the sentence twice before I saw the "just kidding".  :D
It?s similar to this. They are antique.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-wall-mount-wood-arm-folding-1818312407

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 08:07:05 am »

:D He's more than welcome!  Membership is free and lifelong!  And with another member I can reestablish democracy and not vote myself president every year.  ;) ;D

That's sad.  I hope "purge" doesn't mean "throw out".  :o  If you still have them, I'd seriously be willing to take them off your hands.

Membership is free and lifelong...yes it is.
The magazines are in the recycling bin.  I can get them back out.  If  you really want them I will mail some to you.  Send me a PM.  Monday is trash day so let me know.

Offline RAST

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 12:42:49 pm »

Mine go to the local bee club as a library/loaner type of thing. The new beeks really appreciate them and my trash man approves.

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 02:29:37 pm »
"The magazines are in the recycling bin.""

Give the rest to the local bee club, for their library or to the members.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 03:30:51 pm »

Too late, they're mine!  :evil:

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 04:38:48 pm »
"If  you really want them I will mail some to you.""

She said SOME. I said donate the rest, after yours.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 04:46:56 pm »
"If  you really want them I will mail some to you.""

She said SOME. I said donate the rest, after yours.
But I want those too.  ;D

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2022, 06:50:40 pm »
Then there won't be a REST, will there?  :P :)
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2022, 11:11:13 am »
Unfortunately, some of them got dirty in the recycling bin.  Since we have a bee club meeting Monday night, I will bundle a few to take as a door prize.  (Sorry 15)
I could take them to the local bookstore to be resold, but the trip would cost more in gas than they would pay.

Offline RAST

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2022, 01:16:06 pm »

That's what I do with mine