Author Topic: Bucket heater warning  (Read 1169 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Bucket heater warning
« on: October 29, 2022, 02:57:37 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I put a heater on a bucket of honey on Wednesday getting ready for an upcoming craft show. Today I smelled something hot and sure enough the thermostat must have shot craps because it melted the foam insulation I set the warming bucket on. It also melted the plastic handle on the bucket. Glad it happened today and not tonight. Anyway, heads up because nothing lasts forever. Not sure of the brand, there was, many moons ago, a thread on bucket heaters and I used that to determine which heater to purchase. So, what bucket heaters are people using these days? Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Bucket heater warning
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 04:27:59 pm »
I use a brand called bee blanket.  Even has a notch cut into it to accommodate honey gates

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 07:50:13 pm »
Thanks Zweefer! Thats the one I've been looking at.  Does yours have the adjustable thermostat? If not, how hot does it run? Do you leave it on all the time or just to liquify? So many questions....    ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 09:30:14 am »
Mine does not. It stays right around 100, but the honey doesn’t hit that, as there is some loss with the bucket and then the honey itself.   I leave it plugged in on my bottling bucket. It makes filling a breeze.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 05:36:46 pm »
Thanks! I appreciate it. I'll order one shortly.  Ted